Macbook A1342 speed increase question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by R740, Oct 17, 2015.

1. R740 macrumors member

Hi all, I have my mid-2010 white unibody MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo already upgraded to "official max" 4GB of RAM, but third-parties say that it is upgradeable up to 8GB. So my question is, which is more worthy for speed increase - upgrade from 4GB of RAM to 8GB or switch from HDD to SSD ?

2. DaKKs macrumors 6502

SSD, without a doubt. Also, the mid 2010 Macbook white takes up to 16GB ram. As long as the modules are 1.5volt.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

^^above^^

Apple says 4GB is maximum. Mactracker.app (and OWC) say 16GB is maximum.
    Your original question about 8GB will help. 16GB nice, but not a significant boost over 8GB.
    An SSD will take you to a whole different level, faster than you have ever seen your MacBook work, even if you choose to do nothing to the RAM.

4. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Go with the SSD upgrade for sure. Made my late 2008 Macbook Pro sing! I sent with OWC brand, they also have install videos which are helpful.

5. DaKKs macrumors 6502

As they say, unused ram is wasted ram. Yosemite or capitan does fine with 4gb unless you either phototshop a lot or you're a tab hoarder.

If you have cash to spend. An upgrade to 8 gb doesnt hurt. But its not necessary. An SSD will be like night and day.

Also, the upgrade is a child's play. If you know how a screwdriver works and can visually identify a harddrive, its gonna be ridiculously simple.