MacBook A1342 Unibody Power LED Blinks Once

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sawtooth811, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

What does it mean when a MacBook Polycarbonate Unibody (A1342) power LED blinks once and stays solid? The LED turns on normally; blinks ON, and then OFF, and then back ON again, and stays solid. There's nothing but a black screen.

I tried looking up POST error codes for Intel Macs, but I guess Apple took the support page down, or there was a loading glitch on that page.

Any help?

2. briantology macrumors 6502

I'm not exactly sure if that pattern is producing an error code, but if so it seems like it's memory related. The best advice I can give is to set up an appointment at the Apple store and have them take a look at it, but if that isn't feasible perhaps you could try reseating the RAM if you're comfortable with that, although I'm not sure how helpful it would be (blowing on cartridges, anyone?).

3. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Blowing cartridges! Ha! I still live in those days.

I actually purchased a logic board on eBay from a seller who claims the LED blinks in that pattern when turned on. I bought it to replace a secondary A1342 MacBook to see if it was the logic board causing the MacBook to not turn on.

The MacBook I have turns out to have a defective power button, since it didn't power on with either motherboard, so I'm going to replace the entire top case.