Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hi All,

I have a Macbook and the removable part on my charger broke. Fortunately the magnetic end pulled out of the computer, but unfortunately for whatever reason the brick pulled right off the wall attachment. I don't even know if I'm calling it the right thing so I've attached a photo indicating the part I'm talking about.

m85387.jpg

Anyways, I have the thing barely hanging together and plugged in the wall but obviously this is not a permanent fix, It's safe, but is going to be a pain, so I'd like to replace the part. Do you know if this would be covered under Applecare? I bought the extended warranty. I saw a couple on ebay, but that is really a last resort for me (bad past experiences)

Thanks for any help!

allison.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I would guess that they will consider that end-user damage if you call AppleCare, but oftentimes a trip into an Apple store and a visit to the Genius Bar leads to much more positive results in cases like this.

If that doesn't work I would sure rather buy one at an Apple store or via the Apple online store site than eBay myself. Apple has both the 60w for the MacBook and 85w for the MacBook Pro at the same price- $79. The reason I bring up the MBP pro one is that one person commented that the MBP one works fine with the MacBook and runs cooler (since it is using less of its rated capacity in use).

Good luck!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Do you have the 3' cable that came with it (the one that snaps into that spot), you could just use that instead.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
When Apple Thailand replaced my power adapter, it didn't come with a new two-prong attachment (like your broken one). They told me that would cost extra. That's Apple Thailand though - Apple US often contradicts what Apple Thailand tells me. Just ask until you get the answer you like ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.