macbook acting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by velvetelvis, Dec 5, 2007.

1. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

ok, so my mb has just started acting up out of the blue.

1st: it froze up solid. track pad would not work, keyboard, nothing... so i restarted holding power button for a few seconds... then...

2nd: it took 4 tries to get my mb to boot up all the way to desktop. then it would freeze for a second, and then work. freeze for a second, then work for a few...

3: did disk repair... which took a bit to get into, what with all the freezing and unfreezing... found and repaired a bunch of stuff.

4: worked until i powered down... desktop cleared then stayed with just the wallpaper but didnt finish shutting off. had to use power button again to finish.

ummmm... it kinda feels like im running windows again.

so, im using leopard, updated to latest build. other than that, its a stock lower end macbook thats only a few months old...

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

What a drag......

Did you perhaps repair permissions (also in Disk Utility)? Give that a try and maybe it will help.

Good luck -GDF

3. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

did that as soon as i could get to it... it repaired a bunch of stuff. then i restarted. and it worked fine until i went to shut it down. then as i stated previously, it got stuck at an empty desktop.

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Did this start to happen after you installed leopard?

5. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

ive had leopard installed since about a week after it was released. when installing leopard i missed the archive and install, so it just did an upgrade to tiger. im currently doing an archive and install as we speak...

6. FetalSage macrumors regular

Mine's been doing the exact same thing. Took it to the Apple store. Long story short, it's now in for testing to see what's wrong with it.

7. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

ok, did an archive and install and all is well. no problems, actually it seems to run better than before. stupid upgrade option...

installed ilife and ms office for mac... and all is well.... thanks for the replies.

8. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

all is not well... it started doing it again... please ignore my new post about it.

9. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

ok, here is an update. i turned it off and let it sit overnight. woke up this morning and turned it on, opened up itunes and dl'd my podcasts (as i do everyday). no problems. hooked up my ipod and synced. no problems. surfed around a little and tried to do whatever i did last night and no problems. it seems very random and is very frustrating....:confused::eek::mad:

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Ram test from the boot DVD's? Cant remember the exact key, but you put in one of the DVD's and hold down a key, think it might be "D". There is a quick test and an exhaustive test, run both.

11. velvetelvis thread starter macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

i have not. will try tonight... thanks

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry, forgot to mention that it does actually tell you which key to hold down on the DVD itself.