macbook acting very strange on boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 7itanium, May 18, 2013.

1. 7itanium macrumors member

I have a really odd issue with my 2009 alluminum unibody macbook

I recently installed a SSD and then re-installed Mountain Lion... everything was working fine

well about 2 days later I took the SSD out and put an HDD from one of my other (older) macbooks in it to test it because I was having problems with the other unit

I re-installed the SSD and now whenever I boot up the unit it hangs badly on boot up sometimes wont boot into OSX.. IF it does it runs just fine once its loaded

even more strangely if I hold down the C key it boots into OSX from the hard drive rather than booting from disk

WHA?

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502

It seems there is problem on the connector or housing part of the macbook. Just my hypothesis, especially the machine has been quite old. You may unplug, clean the connector and re-install the SSD.

3. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

I ran the installer and it seems to be booting into OSX fine

but now when I load Final Cut Pro it tells my "this version of OSX is not supported.. please install the newest version from the app store" but I am on 10.8....

did I confuse it somehow by putting a hard drive with snow leapord in it?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

A SMC reset might help here.

Make sure you startup from 10.8 which I think is on your SSD, not from the HD which I think you run Leopard.
    (You're not really clear explaining.)

5. 7itanium thread starter macrumors member

Ok let me clarify this point... its kind of a confusing situation

the HDD is no longer in my system. My MB only has one hard drive slot

The only reason I was bringing up that point is because that is when the issue started arrising

I simply removed my SSD (temporarily), and used this MB to TEST an HDD from another system

once I swapped back over to the SSD I started having this boot issue

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ok, you mentioned Leopard, that's why I was confused, If you got the SSD back into the system there is no way the system gets confused installing FCP, it should install if you are on 10.8, you might need the latest version though, if you haven't done so update to 10.8.3 then install FCP.

I suggest doing a SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset for the SSD issues, see if that resolves the startup issues.