MacBook Adapter Unpluggable Cable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knemonic, Apr 21, 2015.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Has anyone given some thought on how the new macbook's power adapter allows you to unplug the USB-c cable?

This is kind of contrary to everything apple has done in the past which makes me think maybe there are some future plans here, for example, being able to use a single adapter to charge all their devices as they transition over iOS devices and the such to USB-c.

Before they used to have those tongs that allowed you to wrap the cable, now they don't. This is a change in ease of use, little things that make macs usability easier. So it seems like they'd have to have something big in mind to go against what they done for quite some time.

2. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

They could simply be cutting down on liability and giving the user more ease of use. The power cable to my rMBP is cut in so many places but I continue to use it because it still works. When it gets frayed enough I'll replace it.

If you look online a lot of MacBook users don't share my indifference and crack open their adapters to repair it. Judging by the multiple vendors selling replacement cables I'd say there's a few of us out there.

With a detachable cable ala iPhone and iPad replacing a power cable becomes trivial.

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true, being able to unplug it allows you to replace the cable at anytime. I did plug the adapter into the power adapter and then plugged my iPhone into it and it charged quite quickly. I thought maybe in time, they will add two C ports to the MacBook power adapter and that would allow you to charge your iPhone, Watch and MacBook at the same time, reducing carrying around three adapter.