Macbook adaptor is not working?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kumabeary, Jul 23, 2010.

1. kumabeary macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new, and yesterday my macbook adaptor stopped working. But the thing is, this happened a few times and for some strange reason I was able to solve it by plugging in my friend's adaptor for like a second and then re-plugging in mine. Sadly I can't do that now as I am home for the Summer and I don't know anyone else who has a macbook here. I don't know if I should resort to buying a new adaptor (I don't really want to as I am really poor lol). Can anyone figure out the problem?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried multiple power sockets? Does the green or amber light show up on the adapter when it is plugged in?

3. kumabeary thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I tried mulltiple sockets, and no, no light comes on, neither will it charge or turn the macbook on. :confused:

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

5. kumabeary thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I was thinking of taking it to the computer store, but I reckoned they would charge me for the service lol.

6. iambasil macrumors regular

I had this (it would only work with friend's charger but wouldn't charge) and took it to an official apple store (not reseller) - told them quite straight that there was a problem with the adaptor or battery that had shorted something. I think that did happen as there was some burn mark, tiny bit of melting on the magsafe plug.

Anyway, after a few ums and ahs and checking my account (which included a few mac purchases over a number of years) and looking at the serial num of battery (? the computer told them absolutely nothing about that), they nodded their head and said 'it must have been part of that faulty batch'. Anyway, new battery and new adaptor.

It was the manager I was dealing with and think he had authority to allow such things - probably just a judgement call by him... I'm seemingly a loyal apple customer and there was obvious signs of weird damage unlikely to occur from normal usage.

Try it at an apple shop when ur back in town.

7. kumabeary thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post, I might check out the apple store whenever I get the chance as I don't live close to one at the moment... Though I doubt I'd get such good service as yours as I never really been a good apple customer like you :rolleyes: And I think you mis-read it a bit, it would charge with my friend's adaptor, and after plugging in my friend's, my adaptor will start working again.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

9. kumabeary thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I don't think so... Look perfectly fine.

10. kumabeary thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind I have solved it!!!!!!! :D
    I just found my ipod adaptor, took the power plug off it and connected to my macbook one. :D

11. iambasil macrumors regular

Glad you solved it. Sounds like a fuse (some countries eg UK have fuses built into plugs) or connection issue within the wall plug.

PS I'm sure it isn't just due loyalty - I generally find that if you go into such places full of confidence, talking straight with good courtesy/polite attitude, knowing who the right person is to speak to and exactly what you're after, you can normally get what u need (discounts etc too!)