MacBook? Advice for a friend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lorelai, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. Lorelai macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #1
    My friend is buying a MacBook this summer and is planning on taking advantage of the Back to School promo. He is working to save up the money for it, but is afraid that the upgrade will happen before he's saved up enough. He would rather get the current model than end up with a potentially glitchy new version. How quickly should he make the purchase? He was going to wait until August, but now that seems like it might be a little too late. Thanks! :)

    Sorry... this must be the 9 millionth post on when to buy! ;)
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #3
    Glitchy? It's a Mac, not a PC! :D
     
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #4
    Not terribly amusing. I guess you take the commercials a bit to heart?

    I don't see any reason why the OP would think that a newly revised MacBook would have any problems. If there are any why not exercise your warranty or visit an Apple Store?

    Then again we get plenty of newbie user threads here. That works. :p
     
  5. Lorelai thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #5
    Ok, thanks :)

    I know... that's why we love them :D He is just afraid that there might be some problem that will pop up with the new model and he'll have to send it in or something. He's starting his senior year, so he's going to have a lot of papers to write and doesn't want to be computer-less.

    Thanks for the quick replies! :)
     
  6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #6
    I guess you chose to overlook the: :D

    It was a joke..... lighten up!
     
  7. Lorelai thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    I have no problem with sending my own computer in for AppleCare. I've been using Macs since 1990. :)

    My friend is just nervous about losing the use of the computer. His PC crashed right before finals last fall. Since then, he's been using computers on campus and borrowing my MB. Finally decided it was time to get one of his own. :)
     
  8. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #8
    Since he's still saving up, I'd wait and see the new one before deciding.

    But imo there will be plenty of refurbs and/or new stock for him to buy
    if he goes for the current MB.
     
  9. Holmes89 macrumors regular

    Holmes89

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #9
    I'm in the same boat, I've saved for a new macbook and am waiting for it to come out but if it doesn't come out before September 15th, I don't know what I'll do, get an older Macbook and an iPod touch... or just the new Macbook. I'll have to think about it.
     
  10. team bong macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #10
    who knows when the new stuff is going to come out - from what i gather all we can do is speculate....
    i am about to start grad school - and i close to buying a macBOOK. i think i am just going to do it. because if you read the pdf. fine print agreement on the "ipod for college" lists the type of ipod you can get with the deal - so i think its a pretty good deal b/c i was going to buy a laptop anyways..but it sounds your friend is worried about a new macBOOK coming out.
    i am going to just buy it and enjoy the laptop and ipod touch this summer..

    but - should i buy the apple care? ?
     

Share This Page