MacBook advice for student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goldcard, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Goldcard macrumors regular

I am thinking on attending law school next fall and need to purchase a new laptop. Right now I have a 12'' ibook G4 and love the portability but would like a little bit more power out of a little computer. So, I'm looking at the Macbook line for purchase early next year / summer. I'm sticking with that line because I think 15" is just too bulky to be hauling around everywhere I go and I definitely don't need that kind of power.

My question is: When choosing between the 2.0 and 2.16 Ghz processors in the MacBook would I notice a substantial difference in speed when running the Mac OS (leopard when released) and when running Vista, if I chose to do so? I kind of figured their wouldnt be a lot of difference based on processor speed and as long as I upgraded to two gigs of RAM i'd be fine running either OS, but I wanted some more "expert" advice before starting to budget for the computer. I would only be running Vista rarely to play around with some of the features, not for any functional purpose.

I'm assuming there will be one more upgrade to the macbook line before I make a purchase but my main concern is whether to step it up from the entry level macbook based on today's specs. Thanks everyone!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to buy it next year and you're worried about the 2.0/2.16 GHz models?

They'll be update long before then.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's been my experience. I can't think of anything I do on a regular basis that really pushes the CPU. Perhaps ripping a DVD, but IMO, spending the extra $$ for just a little bit of added processor power isn't worth it.

I think with 2GB of RAM you'll be good to go without having to upgrade the processor. :)

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

the processor difference should be of little concern. The other upgrades, such as RAM and hard drive, are way more important, as is buying AppleCare. The only thing you can't upgrade custom is the optical drive. If you need DVD burning, that would be a deciding factor.

As of today, that is. Perhaps sometime in 2008 (or 2018, at the rate they're going) Apple will do away with combo drives.

5. Goldcard thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I like this response! It is very encouraging haha! In the back of my mind I know they will update the processors by then but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high!

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wouldn't be too concerned solely about the processor speed as well. Apple loves giving its hardware powerful processors while skimping in the stock RAM, drive space, and especially the video cards.

7. Goldcard thread starter macrumors regular

never really thought about the DVD drive thing. That is a good point. It's something I'll need to consider. Right now I back up all my data on zip drives and external hard drives but you never know, I might find a use for one. Thanks!

8. Goldcard thread starter macrumors regular

good to know that the parts they are skimping on are the more easily replacably parts, besides the vid cards.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm surprised at the number of users that still use Zip drives and want replacements.

Do yourself a favor and get a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive. It'll be cheaper then buying another Zip drive and/or the Zip disks.

10. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

For some reason, Singapore skipped the entire ZIP drive generation :D

11. Goldcard thread starter macrumors regular

yea i meant usb drive. the one i has says zip on it so i just call it my zip drive. dont worry, i'm not lagging behind in technology I just don't use the correct terminology!

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

160Mhz is nothing these days.. won't see any noticeable difference. What you will want is at least 2 gigs of ram.

13. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

The current models will be updated next month anyway, so don't worry about choosing between them. But when the new models do come out, you could get a deal on one of the current models in the refurb section.

Don't worry about a small difference in processor speed. Get a faster HD and more RAM instead, because they will make a much bigger speed difference (don't get the RAM from Apple if you are watching your pennies).

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quite true for the MacBook.

I apologize if I came on to strong about the Zip drives.