Macbook advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by disco87, Mar 12, 2013.

1. disco87 macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I'm planning on getting a macbook pro. At the moment I'm torn between the rMCP 13" or the cMBP 13". Basically all I use my computer for is browsing, watching youtube, some word documents etc but nothing to intensive such as playing games.

I would be getting the 256gb hard drive on the rMBP which I think should be enough for me, although I will put windows on it to run a few things but it should be fine. The thing that is putting me off the rMBP is the fact that it is not upgradable and that the screen might have a few issues.

The other thing is I could get a cMBP with much better performance for less cost. I do like the screen on the rMBP but I have been reading that it looks terrible sometimes as not all websites etc have been updated for the screen.

I've never spent this much money on a computer before so I want it to last and just need some advice on what might work best for me.

Thanks

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

My opinion, buy the rMBP, if you love it, which I believe you will, then awesome! If not, return it within 14 days and get the cMBP.

The screen alone is worth while over the ability to upgrade memory and SSD, but thats in my opinion only, others will argue that. The screen resolution and PPI on the 13" cMBP is HORRENDOUS imo. I would get the 15" cMBP over the 13" SIMPLY due to the resolution.

I recommend buying a refurb 13" if you can, save an easy $200 or so.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You'll want 16GB RAM just so you don't regret it if you don't have it a few years from now. That being said, if you can afford the Retina with 16GB RAM, then get it. If not, buy the cMBP with 8GB RAM and upgrade to 16GB RAM manually for $80-$100.

Keep in mind that if you purchase the rMBP with 8GB RAM, you will *never* be able to upgrade it to 16GB RAM as it's soldered in.

I disagree. Although the Retina may be a benefit, it is merely a benefit and should not be the deciding factor at stake here.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree.

However, for what the OP does, 8GB is PLENTY of RAM.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

For now, yes. But I'm assuming the OP wants their machine to last as long as possible. The OS and applications are only going to get more demanding. It's better to have 16GB to be safe, rather than sorry.