Macbook advice:

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shoot, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Shoot macrumors regular

Right, I need some advice. I want a new computer and it is going to be a Mac.
    It needs to be powerful enough to do digital painting with my wacom and also will be used as an audio workstation (recording music and mixing it). I also need it to be portable. Macbook Pro it is! However, issue is here:

I have two options, get a low end 2.26GHz 13" MBP with a cinema display or a high end 15" but no money left for display.

Ideally I'd get the low end macbook pro 13" and buy a cinema display aswell for desktop use..
    Is this wise? is the 2.26GHz powerful enough or do I need the 2.6 or whatever it is. I will have 4gb ram regardless.
    I don't want any stalls or slowness doing my day to day things and preferably not at all in photoshop either. bearing in mind I will soup it up. Graphics cards don't bother me, I do not game at all.

So in summary it seems to be either slower processor but with screen for desktop use OR fast processor but limited to a 15" screen.

help me please!

Thanks,
    Shoot.

edit: I will be purchasing in january so lets assume there might be minor bumps in spec.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You could get the pro, and spring for a non-apple monitor of the same size and relative quality.

3. waynechriss macrumors regular

Dell often have deals on their large widescreen monitors.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=6099&sku=320-7345

According to slickdeals.net:
    With this you get the monitor for $185. Just a heads up if you are curious.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Bing cashback works at a lot of places, too. I.e., 8% on BUY-IT-NOW items on eBay.

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

what about a refurb 15 and then a cheap samsung or dell monitor... the best of both worlds [​IMG]

6. Shoot thread starter macrumors regular

Don't really want a refurb but am looking into other monitor brands.
    how about the power of the 13 vs the 15? suitable for my needs?

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

the 13 should be powerful enough, but if you are worried, go with the 15 for the security and better gpu