Macbook Air 11" 2011 Buzzing Noise - Solved

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DarkSel, Dec 15, 2014.

1. DarkSel, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

DarkSel macrumors regular

I recently bought a Macbook Air from Craigslist, and it has been working perfectly other than a quiet buzzing sound.

This only occurs if the device is parallel to the ground. The moment it's tilted, the buzzing stops. This leads me to believe it's something to do with the fan; however, it's cooling normally.

Should I replace the fan? It's annoying as hell.

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Check out iFixIt for a comprehensive and safe tear down guide. Give this thing a thorough cleaning inside and out. Most likely dust build up in/around the fan. Use precautions, electronics-safe compressed air, the stuff that has an extremely low moisture content. See how that does afterwards. Then, if it's still present, I would replace fan, check eBay, replacements should not be expensive. Report back and let us know.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Fan could have a clump of dust on one of the blades throwing it out of balance.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I think you meant parallel. I just had my fans replaced (luckily under warranty) and they listed the new fan as $39 and I don't know what it costs to install. You could get a free quote if you have a local Apple Store nearby and are not comfortable with opening up the Mac yourself.

5. DarkSel thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what it was. I took apart the actual fan, cleaned the dust off, applied some axle grease, and now it's working perfectly!

----------

Yup, I meant parallel.

6. Cheffy Dave, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Axle grease? Tad thick no?? S/B White Lithium Yes???:cool:

7. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Well, at least if it's axle grease it will have a long viscosity life... :)