MacBook Air 11" 2013 Hard Drive Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lbass, Jun 26, 2014.

1. lbass macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I have a strange question for you all. I recently purchased a MacBook Air 11" 2013 model as there have been good sales on them in Australia. My first MacBook Air had very noticeable hard drive noise. Anytime there was hard drive read/write activity the noise goes again. It is the exact same mechanical noise that an old netbook of mine use to make.

This makes no sense though as the MacBook Airs use flash storage with no moving parts. The noise is definitely timed with hard drive activity though and is the same as the mechanical noise from many hard drives.

I returned the first MacBook for this as I thought it was strange. The replacement had no such issue but wasn't level. It literally didn't sit flat on a desk and rocked whilst you typed. Hence that one was also returned.

I'm now on my third 11" and I'm back at square one with the exact same mechanical hard drive noise. It's not a noise you could hear in most places but certainly working in my study or in a library it's noticeable and annoying. What is going on?

Thoughts on this? The unit is otherwise perfect besides this. Great solid feel unlike the last one and a really nice bright white screen. Runs fast etc. I've owned many 13" MacBook Airs before and have a 15" Retina and have never heard hard drive noise on a flash machine.

This is not the fan type noise other users have noted. Definitely regular mechanical noise during hard drive activity. To test for yourself it's really easy to hear when booting up the machine in a quiet room.

2. abta1 macrumors 6502

It seems unlikely that it's the hard drive but if it is that causing the noise and you have noticed that it coincides with hard drive activity, then you should also be able to feel something as well, other than the fan.

3. lbass thread starter macrumors member

No I can't feel anything but definitely coincides with hard drive activity and sounds like that kind of noise. Very strange

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

That is odd. All modern Macbook's are virtually silent even in the quietest room. I would keep exchanging until you get one you are satisfied with. They are too expensive for you to settle on something you aren't satisfied with.

5. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

My guess would be that they gave you the same machine you returned first time :D

Something wrong with the power circuit most probably. I bet all MBAs make some *almost* inaudible sounds besides fan, but they shouldn't be noticeable and nowhere near as loud as HDD.