MacBook Air 11'' 8gig/256gig/i7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hooper2, Oct 26, 2012.

1. hooper2 macrumors member

Pros and cons of getting one of these for main computer (coming from 2009 MacBook Pro 13'') vs waiting to see what Haswell has to offer?

2. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

I bought this exact combo recently and have been nothing but happy with it. Using it as my main computer for iPhoto/Aperture (connected to 24" ACD), Safari, and VMWare to run some windows software for work. Upgraded from a 2010 Core 2 Mac mini server, it blows that computer away.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

If you can wait 1/2 to 3/4ths a year, then yeah sure, wait for Haswell. CPU will be faster, GPU will be faster, the entire package will be more battery efficient. Maybe the MBAs themselves will get a refreshed design (I have no idea what they'd do though).

If you need a new computer now, then go for it. It's an amazing little machine.

4. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

The intel 4000 graphics are pathetic. I know people say you can always wait but I would honestly suggest you do.

If you know about haswell then you probably will want it. Just imagine when the new machines come out if you have the old. Yes, that happens to every product but I always feel better knowing I waited.

5. LagFighter macrumors regular

I was looking at the exact same configuration; that is, as a refurb. It seems like it would scream through most tasks I can think of. But, people talking about Haswell and a potential redesign are making me curious. Will it really happen in 2013?

I can surely squeak out another year on my 15" 2010 Pro, but more and more it feels like overkill in terms of processing power, and both sluggish and heavy compared to MBA's and rMBP's owned by friends. It turns out that for programming and graphic design, I don't need much.

Is the consensus really that there will be a redesign? I've got a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and the refurbs were giving me a good excuse to slap down $1400. However, I was one of the ones who really got screwed when the MacBook transitioned to aluminum unibody back in 2008 with a black MacBook purchase in July, so I don't want to befall the same fate.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not sure where the sell section is? But I have that exact configuration, basically brand new w/ all original packaging I am looking to sell.

7. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

What you propose is a very good computer, it is fast, light, small, has a very nice screen, and can drive a large monitor without problems. I considered one but did not get one because the battery-life is less optimal, the screen is too small for my ageing eyes and it is unsuitable for a continuous high load. It gets very hot and throttles down quite bit. But for things like Aperture, where the CPU performs in shot bursts, it is absolutely perfect.
    Don't underestimate the integrated 4000 graphics processor from Intel. I use a MacBookPro retina and I normally switch to the integrated GPU, for normal use there is no noticeable difference with the discrete GPU (driving a retina screen!). Only for Video-rendering (which is done for a significant part by the GPU) there is a big difference. Battery-life with the 4000 is much better.

So: go for it, you will be blown away!

8. mzeb macrumors member

mzeb

Highly Recommend It

I've got almost the machine you're looking at (128GB SSD vs 256 but everything else is the same). It's been great. For the basics (photos, web, email, build android and iOS apps) it's super fast. In particular the I/O performance is amazing.

The graphics have been fine for me but I'm not a hard core gamer anymore. On the built in screen vanilla MineCraft runs with fancy graphics at about 50fps and D3 with high graphics settings at about 25fps. I haven't put it up on an external monitor to see how it would perform but if I were a hard core gamer looking to dual boot and run Crysis 2 I'd look elsewhere or build a second PC for that work. If you want to stick to one machine as a gamer this is probably not the way to go.