Macbook Air (11") Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sebastienDS, Nov 30, 2015.

1. sebastienDS macrumors newbie

sebastienDS

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have more info on the future of the Macbook Air 11" ?
    Is it likely to be updated with retina display, or will it probably be discontinued?

I really like the form factor, usb ports, 16:9 ratio (I watch lots of YT and Movies), and the fact that it doesn't have a useless processor (like the 12" Macbook).

The only thing holding me back is the fact that I've been using retina Macbook Pro for a few years now and the MB Air display is only like 130 DPI, so I'm afraid that the quality will be disappointing.

(I work as an airline pilot so I use it on the flightdeck and airports, trains, in bed at hotel, need take it out alot for security scans.. )
    PS. Been using iPad Air 2 but that doesn't keep up in terms of typing and productivity/file management.

Cya

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will probably be discontinued, it's the odd man out in the notebook line up with the macbook set to replace both airs at some point.

The processor in the macbook is more than enough for your usage, to be honest though you look like a perfect target for the ipad pro.

3. 3568358 macrumors 6502

What he said ^
    Spot on!

4. ignatius345, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

If you're cool with a horrible hybrid UI of using the keyboard and then awkwardly reaching for your screen instead of a mouse/trackpad, yes. Oh, and you also have to be cool with having your screen propped up at one floppy angle instead of having a real, adjustable screen hinge. Also give up having USB ports. While you're giving things up, how about losing the file system? You'll have a lot of fun shuffling files from app to app in iOS, because you won't have folders with visible files like you do in OS X. I guess use Dropbox?

Seriously, the iPad Pro looks like a direct copy of the Surface. While the MBA screen isn't retina, it's a pretty decent DPI and quite usable for real-world work. I'm in the same boat of wanting a better screen and not being impressed with the 1st gen new Macbook -- but for now my Macbook Air is serving me quite well at everything from text editing to Photoshop and Illustrator. The 2015 ones will drive an external 4K monitor at 60hz, even.

So yeah, I'd pass on the big, expensive tablet with the improvised "keyboard".

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Nothing you state in your usage is going to be remotely taxing for the processor in the retina Macbook. It's built for exactly the kind of use you'd subject it to.

6. sebastienDS thread starter macrumors newbie

sebastienDS

As I said the Ipad is not what I'm looking for.
    And I forgot to mention that I also do some light gaming on the go.
    Btw I don't like the retina Macbook's keyboard

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

So then buy the Air. It's a solid enough laptop even if it's heavily dated at this point. Or wait until next spring/summer and see if anything new is released. Anything sub 13" will almost certainly come with a keyboard closer to the rMB's than the MB Air's though.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well the latest rumours show we MAY get new airs with retina and 13 and 15 inch sizes but they are supposedly slated to be thinner so I expect we'll get the macbook keyboard in them.

9. 3568358 macrumors 6502

the keyboard is amazing why don't you like it? lol

10. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

I have an 11" MacBook Air -- Early 2014, and it's been great for my usage during the year plus that I've had it. I do wish I'd gotten the 13" instead, as at times I feel cramped for space on the 11" but I still enjoy using it. As far as the display, it's certainly not a Retina display, and it won't be mistaken for one. I'd describe the screen as just being fine. It's not up to the rMBP or new rMB standards, but its usable, at least for my use. If screen quality is one of your biggest needs, I'd suggest the rMB, though it does have limitations of its own. And I, like you said above, am also not a fan of the rMB keyboard. On the other hand, I love typing on my 11" MacBook Air.

11. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

I guess with the 11" and it's rather iPhone6-like resolution, you really have to embrace full-screen mode for everything.

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    As I see it, the LAST iteration of the 11" MBA, will be just what everyone wants,11" Retina Screen,along with the
    13", milk it for a 2 year period, then release the 12"/13"15" RMBA with USBC, along with updated13"/15" MBP
    As the final line up, the Air has been a money maker.

13. sebastienDS thread starter macrumors newbie

sebastienDS

Just had about 10minutes with rMB and MBA 11.. Think i'm gonna stick with my RMBP for the moment