Macbook Air 11 inch compared to MacBook Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fuzzball84, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

Since a lot of you guys have rMB's now I am interested in opinions regarding the comparison between the 11 inch air and the rMB... I think a lot of people are interested in this comparison...

For those of you who have had the device a few days in the wild (and resisted playing with it too much more than usual lol) how do the two compare as a portable companion

Battery Life... do you get similar to the 11 inch air? how many hours?
    Productivity
    WiFi performance
    Sleep and Resume Speed

The screen of the 11 inch air is really testing me now... the screen on the rMB, like the rMBP, is so nice to use (during the significant time I have spent testing it out at an apple store)... I have been so close to buying this notebook now

Let me know your thoughts...

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I had the 11-inch Air from 2011-2013 and really struggled with it. Screen was too small. Even though the rMB screen is only slightly bigger, all the factors at play has it completely dwarfing the 11-inch Air display IMO.

3. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

The 11" Air is going to be faster at all of those tasks if it's recent. It just is.

The rMB is entirely fast enough for normal use, however. I go back and forth between it and the 4GHz riMac all the time and it's fine.

The screen on the 11" Air has *always* been unacceptable to me. I hated it in 2010, and I hate it even more now. The crap quality of that screen (not to mention the simply incorrect aspect ratio) is why I never bought one.

4. rockjock macrumors newbie

Ok, I did it, replaced 2014 11" Mba w the new mb. Got it on Monday from bestbuy online. I run win 8 in a VM, and the screen on the Mba was not acceptable. Migrated the vm to the new mb and it's awesome. Battery life seems to be all it was claimed to be. No stuttering at all with anything I've thrown at it so far. My only dislike so far is only having one port, had to visit the Apple Store today for the USB adapter.

Just read that this is supposed to be one of the most successful mb rollout's ever. What would the impact have been to apples cash pile to have included this accessory? I bought a reputable 3rd party adapter off amazon and it would not function, so be careful with accessories.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

What do you mean by that? Because it was a completely terrible product rollout.

6. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great

So in terms of battery, how many hours do you get from web browsing, email and office software?

Same as the 11 inch air? little more, little less?

7. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

This way is Apple's approach to forcing an ecosystem.

8. rockjock macrumors newbie

See the post on the home page of this website regarding the rollout

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Huh? Are you talking about what Angela said? That is complete BS.

10. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

I recently ran into a friend of mine who has an 11'' Air. We compared my new Gold MacBook with his 11'' Air. Design wise, his computer looked like a toy that was easily years behind, and the screen on the new MacBook looks lightyears ahead as well. I have "More Space" turned on in resolution settings, so not only is my screen clarity fantastic in comparison, but it looks much larger than 12''.

I'm glad they do it. No complaints, I've been done with ports for a while now. Don't need 'em.