MacBook Air 11" + iPad or iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Papa Shank, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Papa Shank macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm planning on ditching my ~4 year old HP Envy soon for a MacBook Air 11 for taking to university and doing some light stuff. I'm also thinking about having something a little less productivity focussed like an iPad Mini Retina, but I'd also be interested in getting rid of my BlackBerry Z10 for an iPhone (possibly a 5s depending upon what the contract would be like or a 6 if I wait). Unfortunately I can only really justify the MBA and one of these options...

So, what would you get to accompany a MBA 11?: An iPad Mini Retina or an iPhone?

2. Boyd01, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and a 32gb iPhone 5s. Perfect combination for me. Never had the slightest interest in the iPad (although I've bought two for my daughter's family).

3. outlawarth macrumors regular

I have all 3 and I use MBA and iPhone the most.

4. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Me too.
    Get the MBA and iPhone.
    My iPad is beside me now.
    But still pick up the iPhone most of the time

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I am with the others. Get the iPhone. A tablet and a small laptop is monotonous.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am a bit confused. The ipad and iphone are two entirely different devices.
    I use my ipad mini the most, even though its a bit broken now :(
    If you want a somewhat serious work device thats more portable than your mba, than you have to get the ipad mini.

The iPhone is a phone...

7. Papa Shank thread starter macrumors newbie

For me the main thing with the iPad and iPhone I that I can have access to the iOS ecosystem through them. The benefit of the iPad is that it is cheaper and more suitable for things like reading, but the downside is that I'd be carrying something that can't make calls (meaning I still need to keep my current phone) and is maybe a little to close to the MBA 11" in terms of size.

I think my decision is going to come down to how much the iPhone 5s is going to cost in the next month or so.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

i would try to get an iphone and an ipad mini to stay within the ecosystem.

The ipad mini is much, much better for entertainment and work.
    The iPhone is good as an additional device+phone thats always in your pocket. But at the end of the day its just a phone.

If $$$ is an issue I would get the original ipad mini on a discount and get a cheaper iPhone than the 5s. (5c or 4s)