Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Hi Guys!

I have a problem with a Macbook Air 11" late 2010

Problem:
doesn’t boot
led on magsafe connector doesn’t light up.

This is the second time this happens, last time I left it on the charger for over an hour and suddenly the led was lighting up and it was working.
MacOS showed the battery condition was Normal.
It was fully charged yesterday and hasn't been used.
I think the charger is ok. It was working yesterday.
I tried a SMC reset, no response.

I think it’s a battery problem?
All help is welcome.

Thanks!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I wouldn't think it was a battery issue. MagSafe will always turn green if battery is simply absent. It sounds like an issue with the pp3v42 power rail. If this is not present, MagSafe indicator is absent, computer will not boot.

Reactions: Fred.

Fred.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
I wouldn't think it was a battery issue. MagSafe will always turn green if battery is simply absent. It sounds like an issue with the pp3v42 power rail. If this is not present, MagSafe indicator is absent, computer will not boot.

I'm planning to go to the Mac store tomorrow.
If that's the case it's probably not worth to repair the Macbook.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I'm planning to go to the Mac store tomorrow.
If that's the case it's probably not worth to repair the Macbook.
Yeah, still worth trying. Hopefully I am wrong. If it is power rail, they will send computer for testing, tell you it is logic board failure and offer replacement for $500. Sad thing is that it is probably just a bad resistor or something like that... literally $1 to replace.

Fred.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Yeah, still worth trying. Hopefully I am wrong. If it is power rail, they will send computer for testing, tell you it is logic board failure and offer replacement for $500. Sad thing is that it is probably just a bad resistor or something like that... literally $1 to replace.
I know. I don't have the small T5 screwdriver a.t.m I was thinking to have a look. But then I need tools first. But there is probably not much I can do anyway.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I know. I don't have the small T5 screwdriver a.t.m I was thinking to have a look. But then I need tools first. But there is probably not much I can do anyway.
Even if you did have T5, Apple uses pentalobe screws for case bottom.

Fred.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
@Sedulous Do you think I will be able to
Even if you did have T5, Apple uses pentalobe screws for case bottom.
I mean P5, but I also need a T5 for inside.
I ordered a IFixIt tool kit to have a look first before I go to the apple store. I don't have warranty anymore so it doesn't matter. I upgraded my Macbook Pro before.
Not sure if I can fix it, I will see.

Fred.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
I have it disassembled now. I'm sure it's the PP3V42_G3H power rail.
No visible damage.
Not sure if I can fix the problem.
I was able to find the schematic and I have been watching Louis Rossmann his videos on youtube wich are very interesting to learn about it.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I have it disassembled now. I'm sure it's the PP3V42_G3H power rail.
No visible damage.
Not sure if I can fix the problem.
I was able to find the schematic and I have been watching Louis Rossmann his videos on youtube wich are very interesting to learn about it.
Louis Rossmann is quite interesting. I like his videos. Also like how he doesn't pull punches when it comes to bad Apple engineering decisions... I'm sure fanbois must troll endlessly.

Glad you have narrowed issue. Now just track down where issue is with voltmeter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.