Macbook Air 11" MID 2012 SSD Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xeloz01, Jul 13, 2015.

1. xeloz01 macrumors newbie

xeloz01

Last 2013, one month after my apple warranty expired, the internal SSD in my macbook air completely died with no files recoverable whatsoever (a few weeks after that apple released a fix for the SSD dying, too late for me though). At the time, the cost of the internal SSD was too much for me to have replaced. So ever since, I have been running my entire OS on an external hard drive. My mac literally won't function unless the external hard drive is connected to it because all the software including the OS is inside the external hard drive, severely hampering the "portability" of my mac.

Now, Three years after buying this mac I feel like I don't want to replace it anymore rather, I want to replace the internal SSD inside myself and use it again like what I bought it for, portability.

However, I don't know where I can get a good quality internal SSD for my mac since it is after all three years old now.

I was wondering if you guys can make a suggestion?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I thought Apple was replacing the defective 128gb SSD drives on the 2012 MBA, even if the warranty had expired. IIRC, they provided a program to test for defective drives. This was discussed a lot here in the forums a couple years ago, but I did not follow it very closely since I have a 2013 MBA.

3. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Ebay. Buy a Samsung drive as they should be faster. I've seen 256GB ones go for £125 so I'm sure you can pick up a 128gb for around 70 to 80 pounds.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What Boyd01 said - you should be able to get it replaced under consumer law.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

See this: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There are plenty of options open to you for replacements but as above you should go to apple as its under the replacement programme so they will swap it out for free and give you 90 days warranty.