MacBook Air 11 mid 2013 dead SSD, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mattalves, Sep 8, 2015.

1. mattalves macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So my MacBook Air 11 mid 2013 just died one day. After booting I hear the chime, but then the screen is completely black and stays like that for a while (quite a few mins) and then ends up showing a question mark and a folder (on the same black screen, not on a white/gray one).

I tried resetting SMC, PRAM, booting to diagnostics, to another USB drive and nothing. It just won't come out of the black screen.

Thus I took it to the Apple Store and they said to fix it (the issue was the SSD, apparently) it'd cost 523 euros - which is outrageous, considering I paid around 700 EUR for it new in Asia a bit over an year ago (yeah, it died on me that fast).

Is there any possible way to boot it, for example, to an external USB drive? Some hidden key combo or whatever? It's pretty much an expensive paper weight right now, so any idea would help :)

Cheers!

Mat

2. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Plug in your bootable external hard drive. Hold down "option" while you boot. You'll get a choice of boot locations, one of which will be the external device. Select it.

3. mattalves thread starter macrumors newbie

That one was one the first things I tried, but it doesn't work... screen stays black