Macbook Air 11 (mid2013) Dead or what? :-)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tzitzigr, Jan 13, 2015.

1. tzitzigr macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Sorry that my first message in here describing a problem, i know that this is not an ethical way of participating in a forum, but i promise to be a more active member this year :)

Unfortunately today i realized that my mb air was not powering on.
    Magsafe2 was acting like crazy, getting orange and after one minute, turning to green for some seconds, then again getting orange.

After a couple of tries, the led of magsafe2 was not bright at all. It acted like it was disconnected from the power port of my air.

My mb air is 3 months old - unfortunately out of warranty - an in the coolest condition a mb air can be! A couple of scratches (minor) and nothing else. Never faced any water issues etc.. I just set it to sleep with 25% battery and it never woke up in the next morning. It wasnt connected to magsafe2. My battery got 5 full cycles or charge......

The steps that i did so far was to measure the magsafe2 (i know, not an accurate measurement, but it should still show if it is dead - it gave around 7v), try with another magsafe2 (also not worked on my laptop), opened it up and removed the battery, resetted mcu, long pressed power button with/without magsafe2 connected etc. I also tried with another magsafe2, and tried mine to another laptop (it works ok).

It seems to me that my mobo is off. I did a couple of measurements (attached photos) which show that my PSU board is functioning well, providing my motherboard with 14,75-15v, which is the normal output of a magsafe2. Voltage is being driven fine to the connector, but air is not powering up at all. No indincating lights at all on the laptop, nor on the magsafe2.

I even measured some things after the PSU board connector, directly to my motherboard and it seems that power is all over my motherboard.

Is there any way to power it up without the power button, directly from the mainboard? Like merging two pins? My air never dropped down or something, so i guess this is not a keyboard issue, but just in case, i want to try it! Or maybe, other ideas? :)

There is nothing else left to try after that so if there is a way and someone knows it, please let me know. I might be lucky enough to avoid visiting apple store and paying a great bill.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tzitzigr thread starter macrumors newbie

* update: found the power pads, but still no luck, it doesnt boot, no lights at all and no magsafe led indication at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated much.

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

a quick idea before i read your problem is that take it to apple, ill be back in 5 min

----------

i haven't really worked with the inside of computers but from what i think it is that something is detached or burned. And also did you hear any sort of chime. Any clue is important. But just book an apple appointment to be sure

4. tzitzigr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well there is no clue at all. No noise from fans, no leds at all (even from magsafe) nothing. It was a present from my old company so i got no receipt for it. I also did some mods (AZERTY to QUERTY keyboard) so i guess that apple will charge me a lot :)

5. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

They won't charge you for a diagnostic but they would if you let them replace parts. If you can take it to a store, I would recommend doing so.

You can also check how much warranty you have left from Apple by entering your serial number here. If its 3 months old and was a gift, I'd be almost certain it was still under warranty and they should fix it. Receipt is not required as long as long as whoever the company bought it from registered it with Apple (for instance, Best Buy scans the serial number of your device before the sale so they can send the info back to Apple that this device was purchased xx/xx/xxxx for the warranty start date). You may have voided the warranty by opening it though.