MacBook Air 11'' Popping, crackling sounds.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kuanyu24, Oct 4, 2013.

1. kuanyu24 macrumors newbie

kuanyu24

Hi, I recently bought a MacBook Air and ever since I've had it I seem to have this popping/crackling sound.
    This sound happens when I'm using the built-in speakers, external speakers connected via the analog jack, external speakers connected via thunderbolt/HDMI adapter.

I believe it is not a hardware issue as I took it in to Apple and they replaced the speakers for me but the problem still persists.

I'm posting on here is because I believe it is a software type of issue but can't seem to solve it.

When I was using a Windows computer in the past I had the same problem when I connected a USB headset to the computer.
    The problem back then was that my "DPC latency" was too high, so I had to take some hardware components out and that reduced my DPC latency.

To my knowledge so far DPC latency only applies to Windows not OS X, but I thought I might ask here to see if anyone is having the same troubles.

I also found on a website where a guy was saying the popping/crackling sound is caused by the laptops sound system. Apple implemented a system that automatically turns off the sound system after 20 seconds of inactivity.
    His way to resolve it was to install "Antipop" however the link he provided led me to download these Antipop DMG that doesn't install.
    They are now stuck in my drives, as I cannot eject them.

So I am lost now and this popping/crackling sound is a bit annoying. The issue persists even when listening/watching files from my laptop to listening/watching media on the internet (YouTube).

Please help? :)
    PS: I am also new to OS X, so I'm learning and would appreciate any constructive comments made. :apple:

2. Istrancis macrumors newbie

Istrancis

Hey!

You've gotta visit your browser's plugins page and disable all but one version of Adobe's Shockwave Flash. See here for a fuller explanation on how to accomplish this.

Hope this helps to solve this intensely irritating issue. :)

3. kuanyu24 thread starter macrumors newbie

kuanyu24

Hey Istrancis!

Thanks for the tip, I've disabled it and will see if it continues to pop and crackle.
    Though, the pop and crackling issue also happens with videos I watch from my HDD (Not via web-browser).
    Sometimes it even does it when I Move something to the trash and it does that "Crumple paper" sound, the pop comes out.

But nevertheless, I'll post here on how disabling the feature you mentioned helps or not :)

Thanks!

4. kuanyu24 thread starter macrumors newbie

kuanyu24

Hey Istrancis, it didn't seem to fix the problem.
    And also when I disabled the fix, my YouTube stopped working :( So I have to re-enable it anyways.

Does anyone else have the same problem or might have an idea of how to solve this problem I'm having?

5. kuanyu24 thread starter macrumors newbie

kuanyu24

Hi Istrancis,

You're right actually! It didn't work before for me is because I didn't have Flash installed, so when I disabled that Adobe's Shockwave Flash plugin, I couldn't load any videos.
    But now I installed Adobe Flash and disabled the plugin in Chrome and it worked wonders :)
    Thank you so much!

Sorry I doubted you at first :/