Macbook Air 11" Slowing Down? Trim?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sammyman, May 27, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I have noticed over the last few days that my mba is really slowing down. Any idea why this would be happening? I tried using the trim sdd hack, and I am wondering if this is the reason my computer has slowed down. I then restored the computer to turn off the ssd trim.

It still seems to be bogging down when just browsing the web. Any thoughts? It used to be plenty fast.

2. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

did you try the usual 'activity monitor' check? people seem to run into problems sometimes with browser plugins hogging up the CPU. (you can go to activity monitor in utilities and rank processes by CPU%.)

i'm no expert on SSDs, but i would guess its a bit early, assuming typical use, to be running into 'trim' issues. also, that that would happen in 'days'.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just glanced at the activity monitor and a ton of Ram was being used by Finder (1.5gb which is crazy). I restarted finder and now it is much lower. Dropbox is using about .5gb.

What could cause finder to be using so much RAM?

4. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

i don't know too much about that. 512MB for Dropbox seems like a lot. did your browsing improve?

maybe someone else can comment on the RAM usage.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Do you have a ton of stuff strewn across your desktop? Due to quirks in how the Finder draws and deals with desktop icons, a high amount of stuff on your desktop can make the Finder hog a good chunk of your RAM.

6. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Wouldn't advise TRIM on your machine. It killed my 11. Use a Time Machine backup, if nothing else if you're going to futz around with the enabler.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

OS X Lion will support TRIM, and will be enabled by default. TRIM, overall, is better for SSDs.

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Correct. SSD's require trim to run better.