MacBook Air 11" Users, describe your experience?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Frosteric901, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Frosteric901 macrumors newbie

for those that have the macbook air 11" please describe your experience with it? by that i mean how is the battery life? is it your primary or secondary computer? etc

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have been using Apple products since the Apple ][ in 1978 and have pretty much owned them all over the years. My recent history in laptops is 2008 15" MBP > 2011 13" MBA > 2013 11" MBA. The 11" MBA is really my favorite computer of all time. It's my primary computer and I use it with a big external screen at home when I need more workspace.

I never run the battery all the way down, but it seems like I could get 10+ hours with no problem. Earlier this year, I watched my own movies during a whole flight from Newark to London and there was plenty of battery capacity left on arrival.

I have the i7/8gb/512gb model and it's a really fast little computer. Now I retired a few years ago and only do occasional consulting jobs. If I was still working every day and needed to use the built-in screen all the time for things like CAD, then I might not find it quite as perfect. But it's just right for my current needs.

3. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

I have a mid 2011 Macbook Air. I use it as my primary computer. I use Safari, iTunes, Pages, Mail, some light coding and once and a while I play a game on it. It still preforms still very good! Battery usage is around 4-5 hours with OS X Yosemite. My experience with it is great never had any trouble with it. It's a great laptop!

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have the Macbook Air i7/8/512 model as a primary machine. I have two 27 inch displays at home. When I had a Macbook Pro, I rarely undocked it but with this form factor, I bring it with me more often. Battery last long enough that I don't need to bring my charger. There are times when I wish I had a bigger screen though but more important than that would be a retina display. Waiting for a killer upgrade with a Macbook Pro in the next 1 or 2 revisions. Still have killer specs so I can wait.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

I had a 13" MacBook for the longest time and was always annoyed by how big and heavy it was.

The instant the 11" became available at my local Apple Store, I went to pick one up and never looked back. A few months ago I sold it and bought a new 2014 model.

I would never, ever consider a bigger laptop. It is far too convenient to grab this one and carry it around. I can use it for hours on my lap without the size/weight bothering me and I can unfold it to a comfortable angle in any situation, particularly a coach seat on a plane.

I do not use it as my main machine--I have a Mac Mini at home. The Mini has a 4-core processor so it's much faster than the MBA in some rare cases. Otherwise I would probably use the MBA in lid-closed mode as my only computer.

BTW -- the battery life on my old MBA was 3-4 hours which wasn't enough for longer plane flights and I was pretty aggressive about remembering to plug it in when I had the chance. The new one lasts me 6-7 hours with my typical usage and it's enough that I often won't even plug it in at the airport even if I'm sitting right next to a power outlet. It's pretty relaxing.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I should add… last summer I would sit on my porch in the afternoon and watch movies in iTunes, connected to a shared library on my Mac Mini via 802.11ac wifi. It's bright on the porch, so I would run the screen at full brightness.

With this kind of use, I got 5+ hours on battery power. But the screen is really quite bright on this little computer, and unless you're outside you shoudn't need the screen at such a high setting.

7. John marts macrumors member

Its my main computer and I love it. I do think the screen is a tad small at times but the portability and form factor make up for it a lot more.

I get about 8-8.5 hrs of battery life, and I stream a lot of video. Im mainly impressed with the standby battery life. I've been leaving it off the charger lately where ill let it sit for 10 hrs and I open it up and it hardly lost any battery.

Its also just a very fast computer, especially for its specs.

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

Ditto

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

For me it's my secondary/work machine. I have a 15" rMBP, but it was just too darn heavy to carry around.

The 11" is perfect. I have a portrait monitor for code, and I have terminal windows full screen on the built in display. And it's very light to carry! I barely notice it in my backpack.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For that winning combination of stunning power and portability absolutely nothing beats it - it is a fantastic machine. Mine dates from 2013 and is an i7/8/512 and I have to say that it is a fantastic computer.

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i went to the fruit stand sure i wanted the 13" air. but then i played with the 13" rMBP and i didn't notice a huge difference between the two picking them up. I know the air is ~ .5lb lighter but i didn't notice that as much as how light the 11" is. the retina screen was incredible so, for me the decision then became between ultraportable or ultrapowerful (the 15" rMBP) and like i always do when faced w/ a tough call - i went w/ the cheaper option.

i love my 2014 11" air.

can't imagine how anyone would regret this purchase.
    of course i would say the same about those who bought the 13" too.

go play with them, pick the one you like.

12. jacqueg macrumors member

Ditto. Not a whole lot larger than an iPad, and so much more capable. I'm happy to give up the optical drive for portability, it is easy enough to hook up a cd/dvd when I need to. And the battery life is fantastic. It really is made to be your constant companion!

13. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I love my 11" Air. I use it as my main machine without an external display and it's fantastic. It's portable enough to carry around with you anywhere and not much heavier than an iPad Air. It's my first 11" laptop and I have no regrets.

14. dawgfang macrumors member

I have a 2014 11" base model with 4 GB RAM and a 128 GB SSD. I have a late 2013 13" MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM and a 256 SSD; however the Air is the computer I always grab.
    It does everything I need including running Windows (for Outlook) in Parallels. It's pretty much the perfect computer.

15. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Just to add a little balance; as a 15" cMBP, 13" rMBP, 13" MBA and 11" MBA user I think the 11" is a little too small for regular work use away from the desk. The 15" is too big and has few advantages for me.

The 11" works well, but the others are easier on the eye for a long period of work. Battery life is not a big problem, unless you are in bootcamp where I have been less impressed. The 11" is great on a long journey especially on a budget flight and great as a back-up for mission critical trips elsewhere.

16. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I had a 11" MBA for a bit.

You don't even notice it's there when you're carrying around, if you don't mind the screen resolution and the lack of SD slot, it's a good choice but these two reasons are why I returned it for a 13"

17. yosemit macrumors regular

I have a 2013 11" as my primary computer, with 24"/28" monitors at home and office. It's my desktop replacement AND my travel computer. Fast and quite, cannot complain more.

I'm waiting for a 2015 update that supports retina and 4K display. My 28" monitor is 4K, but at this time I can only use it as 1920x1440 monitor because of the limit of Thunderbolt 1. A new Air with Thunderbolt 2 connector will be perfect.

As for battery life, I never had chance to exhaust it. :D

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I had an original 11" air when it came out. I loved that computer, but the display resolution and ratio killed it for me. Everything else was great (Well, minus battery life, but that was first gen.) It was seriously as portable as an iPad, you could slip it into any bag and you wouldn't even notice.

Also the trackpad height was a bit disappointing as well, as I came from a 15" MBP before that.

Personally I would wait until the rumored 12" Air announcement, which supposedly fixes most of my qualms with the machine.

19. Jezak macrumors member

It is still my primary machine even though I have had a Retina iMac for a number of weeks now. The form factor is amazing, it's light weight enough to be taken almost anywhere with me, and powerful enough when I need it. I have the 2012 model and while my battery life isn't the 7+ hours the 2013 model is, it's still a damn fine machine. I will probably replace it if the supposed 12 inch Retina model hits this spring / summer, I won't mind seeing the screen bezel disappear.

20. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have always LOVED the 11"AIR, bought many refurbs with 64GB SSD's, and upgraded to 256 & 512 OWC SSD's for friends.
    I have longed for a "Retina 11" MBA, since iPad 3 Retina ruined me, now knowing the 12"Retina MBA is the same form factor as an 11" Air, just with smaller bezels, I am all in, I predict it will be wildly successful, for the above reasons, for 11" fans, I would also expect the 11" will go the way of the DODO, and further predict the 13" will soon have a 14" screen, in the same form factor, so we will be looking at Retina,12 & 14" MBA's, and a 15 Retina MBP!
    CAST THIS IN STONE,and log the date!!:cool:;):D, oh ye doubting Thomas'es

21. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

If not for the seriously resource intense, demanding work I do, the extra scrolling and somewhat slower operation, it's not bad. Fast and smooth isn't what Apple had in mood for this rather barebones laptop. The one I had was decent. Inexpensive by Apple's standards.