Macbook Air 11'' vs 13'' (screensize+aperture issues)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macfriend1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. macfriend1 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'd need some advice regarding the macbook models.

Two questions:

Screensize any significant reason why I should choose 13'' over 11''? What are the advantages of having 2'' more? Basically doing textediting, browsing and little bit of aperture photo editing.

Aperture:
    Working on the 11'' - did you make any good experiences? 1,8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (upgrate 11'' model) worth it for the performance in aperture?

thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" has 23.5% more pixels, hence it can display 23.5% more stuff on the display. This is useful if you do a lot multitasking as having more than one window open at a time on the 11" can be difficult.

3. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

For real multitasking everything below 15'' is nonsense, I guess. It seems to me that things for the 11'' are just tighter but you still have enought space to get things done :)

Has anybody used Aperture with such a machine and can tell me how it performs? I would like to know if it's worth it to upgrate to the 1.8 GHz, i7.

Thanks.

4. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

While the screen real estate is noticeably larger on the 13"; I feel that OSX lion removes the need to have such space with all the new gestures.

If you are going to be doing color correction on photo and video or anything of that you shouldn't be looking at a MBA anyway.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I used Aperture on the 11" 1.6/4/128 model for awhile. Doing fine adjustments on the screen was painful. I only did this while I was camping at a wildlife preserve for a photography competition. Any other time, an external monitor was a must. Processing was fine; the only thing that it seemed to have problems with was initial import/preview generation and exporting versions to JPEG. Working with the masters after they were imported was a breeze, though.

6. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

Good point.

----------

Thanks for your reply. Well, I do have an external monitor. Do we speak of "real" problems here or just relatively slow performance when comparing to other photo editing tasks?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It was just sluggish. Had no errors, program never froze. Just took awhile :)

8. sostoobad macrumors regular

I have had both, and ended up with the 13". It all depends on your needs and wants, my needs are small, I really preferred the 13" screen.

9. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you prefer the 13"? What do you use it for?

10. solubility macrumors newbie

I disagree with your statement about anything below 15" being nonsensical for multitasking. With the proper use of gestures, keyboard shortcuts and a few programs, getting things done is a breeze on my 11".

As for Aperture, I have the top end 11" model and it runs smooth enough. I prefer CS5 for my editing needs, but have given Aperture an ample run through.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Actually I'd say the 17" for 'real multitasking', it displays two pages side by side reasonably well, the 15" hi-res does not.

12. EuStoN macrumors newbie

if you dun travel with your macbook air everyday, a 13" is much nicer than 11".

If you do travel and need to move your mba around everyday, 11" would be the best choice for you~~~

I've had both 11 and 13, but I've settle with my 13"... i needed that extra 23% of pixel, although traveling with 11" is super nice!!!! it's like carrying an iPad around!!!

----------

agreeedd!!!! :d

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use a 27" iMac for most of my Aperture 3 work. However, when I am in the field, I use an 11" MBA without any difficulties. It runs A3 just fine. I have both 11" and 13" MBAs, and I vastly prefer the 11" for mobility reasons.

A3 is superb at letting you check projects in/out of a machine... so I create new projects in the field and transfer them to my mail library on the iMac once I get home. Sometimes I'll move projects to my MBA before a longer trip so that I can work on them while traveling. Once home however... they all get migrated back to the iMac.

/Jim

14. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I bought both (11 on eBay, 13 from Apple) and returned the 11. For me, it was a tad netbookish feeling in size, and also had about 3 hours of battery life in real world usage.

The 13 gets about 5 hours, which is acceptable. Also, the larger size makes it comfortable to work on for hours. The 11 was okay for a short burst like 45 mins to an hour, after that it was a bit tiring.

15. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

It makes sense, but... what about the point of portability!

I can see your points, and understand your preference.

But for me the screen difference is not that big (mostly for writing), and the keyboard size not a point of importance. The biggest negative aspect of the 11 is the battery time. But I can live with it in most situations, until it hopefully will be better when Ivy Bridge comes this summer.

On the other hand, for me real difference is the point of portability. Even though the 13 is not THAT big, the 11 is in my experience so much smaller and more portable that that fact/experience alone so to speak makes the difference in favor of the 11 inches Air.

16. Inplosion macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a 13'' MBA. Compared to my friend's 11'', it's considerably more comfortable to work on. The exta 2'' might not sound like much, but it makes an huge difference in usage. I can open two apps side by side(safari & itunes comes to mind), without feeling cramped.
    The weight is also a non issue, you won't feel the difference in a backpack/messenger bag.

Only reason to get a 11" is the size really.

17. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I agree. It is so easy to simply swipe to another virtual desktop having a poxy little 11" screen isn't a great hardship. I wouldn't dream or running 2 browser windows on an 11" or a 13" screen.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

So, my MBA's 13" 1440x900 screen is nonsensical, you're saying I need a 15" MBP with a 1440x900 resolution screen, I guess ? :confused: