Macbook air 128gb or 256?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ak415, Jul 8, 2013.

1. ak415 macrumors newbie

Going to be in college this fall and am going to get a macbook air, would you all recommend the 256gb over the 128? Do any of you know how much space is already taken up by the os?

Thanks

2. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

Mountain Lion takes 8 gigabyte.
    Buying a premium priced premium product - that's your plan. You shouldn't decrease it's usability by crippling the discspace, in my humble opinion.

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

If its your primary machine - go for more storage.
    If its a secondary machine - go for less storage.

But to be honest it all depends on how you will be using it. Are you doing a photograhy course, or a writing course, for example? the answer will influence how much storage you should choose.

Then again, Im one to talk! My MBA is a secondary machine (will be getting a rMBP when updated), yet I still wentf or 256GB storage! lol :confused:

4. jjhoekstra, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

jjhoekstra macrumors regular

256 without a doubt. Once you see how useful it is you will load it with all kind of goodies. At least that happened to me. I now run out of space on my 768 Gb rMBP...

5. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

256. General rule of thumb for hardware, REGARDLESS of the operating system, buy as large a capacity as you can afford. You'll quickly fill up 128g, somewhat less so with 256g.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This depends entirely on how you plan to use the machine. A default install with the OS and iLife with iWorks apps uses up about 20GB, so if you can comfortably fit all your data in the remaining 100GB, then 128GB is all you need.

7. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Always get as much space and Ram as you can afford, especially with apples products as its a bugger to change them later.

Alternatively, DONT buy an apple notebook, spend less, get a Windows Based notebook, and upgrade it later as and when you need the space...

Ultimately the choice is yours,

8. irDigital0l Guest

MBA will be my main and probably only access so I went with 256GB and 8GB RAM.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Go for 256. Once you start putting music and videos on it the space will go down fast.

10. twoehr macrumors member

My advice to the OP is if you want to get through college with this laptop (hopefully no more than 5 years, 4 if you're lucky.) is to get both the 8 GB mem and 256 GB storage upgrades. Finance it if you have to using the 18m interest free financing offered via Apple (Also a great way, and time, to establish good credit history).