Macbook Air 128gb, sd cards and battery drain

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by okusai3000, Jan 2, 2017.

1. okusai3000 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am about to buy a Macbook Air and as in Europe is like 300 extra euros what it cost a 256gb model, I'm seriously thinking about the idea of mac + sd.

I have read a lot of battery issues, but I have also read that ejecting the card from the OS it will help to avoid this problem.

I just would like to know if someone is using this, and if it's doable, or just a big problem.

Thanks a lot

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I have 13" MBA - i7 and I'm using the SD card slot for a 200GB card. I can't honestly say that battery life is affected. If it is it's very unnoticeable for me.

I did have the same worry that you have regarding battery drain, so I purchased the app Mountain. It makes mounting and unmounting the SD card very easy. You can set it up to auto-unmount, but I like to do everything manually.

3. Ca_lvn macrumors member

I just bought the MBA 128g and I'm using two 256g micro sd cards with adaptor and it works fine haven't noticed any extra battery drain , im new to mac so unmounting/formatting was challenging until I located disk utilities on the system then its a breeze also using one SD card for back up

4. Rok73, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I'd recommend to put the extra buck in it and buy the 256 GB model. The internal SSD is superfast and if you're going to keep that thing for 3-5 years it's really worth it imo.

Where are you located btw? In my country the difference between 128 & 256 GB is 250.00 € directly at Apple. But there are often 3rd party sellers where you can get a good deal. I'd watch out for something like that.

I bought my early 2015 256 GB model with 8 GB RAM for 1225.00 € compared to the price of 1349.00 € at Apple.