MacBook Air 13" 2.13 + eyetv HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by b-well407, Oct 24, 2010.

1. b-well407 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a MacBook Air 13 with 4gigs of ram and the 2.13 processor as well as an eyetv HD with the hopes of using it in the bedroom with the 30" Cinema display. I just noticed the tech specs from elgato stating the eyetv hd minimum requirements are intel core 2 duo 2.26ghz or more! I'm praying it will work and will find out within a week when it all arrives but does anyone have any experience trying to run an eyetv HD with a machine running a slower processor? The anticipation is killing me!

2. Mr. Savage macrumors regular

Mr. Savage

I imagine it'll work fine but just run quite hot. It'll just depend on how hot and, being that it's for TV watching, it'll be over an extended period of time.

I have an eyetv HD hooked to a mid-2006 iMac with 2 GHz processor and it runs (and records) HD flawlessly and barely heats up.

By contrast when I hook it to my late-2007 MacBook Pro with 2.2 GHz it still runs flawlessly with no sputtering etc. but the fans spin up to full blast almost instantly and the CPU and GPU temps get into the high 80s and low 90s.

At first I would just set the eyetv to motion-adaptive (best tradeoff between processor hit and pic quality), keep checking iStat and watch your temps and fan speed and if they stay in a reasonable range, then bump it up to progressive.