Macbook Air 13" 2011 -- woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mixman, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mixman macrumors member

A few hours of usage behind my first laptop purchase (ever) I'm pleased with many things, but...

1) The screen.
    By far my biggest gripe. The vertical viewing angle on my (LG) unit is lacking. It performs well on white backgrounds, but less so on darker color schemes (as I use with Vim). With a darker setting a clear gradient is visible on the top 1/3 of the screen affecting readability when the viewing angle is not spot on.

2) The trackpad.
    Not sure if this is due Lion, or my lack of familiarity with some conflicting gestures, but at times simple clicks are unresponsive. I've checked one-tap clicks from settings and sometimes they just don't register at all. On iMac's (Snow Leopard) equipped with a magic trackpad I've never noticed anything similar.

3) Instant On?
    As many have already noted, it's not that instant. A few seconds goes by before I can type in my password to login.

What does everyone else here think of the screen? Is it usable as a main machine, or needs to be hooked up to a big screen?

2. The Expert macrumors newbie

For the instant on feature: I'm sure Apple is working on a fix and it will be resolved. When? *shrugs* Who knows.

For the screen: If you are within the fourteen day return period, you can return the laptop and get another one which hopefully has a samsung screen. Although, take my word, all of the screens are identical and similar.

For the trackpad: I don't know what you mean. The trackpad works flawlessly.

3. kilonet macrumors member

I just had 11" and I'm loving it to bits. Right now Ive hooked it in external Dell display and its a joy!!

:D

4. misterneums macrumors 6502

The only thing that I've noticed with my 13" out of the OP's issues was the clicking. Sometimes when I'd go to just regularly click something--I'd get no response. I'd have to go into a different program/desktop and back to get it to work.

I have double Samsung--no screen issues here.

Oh, yea I do have the instant-on problem. That's a lion issue.

5. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

On my base 13":

1. No vertical viewing angle problem (Samsung panel).

2. Trackpad working perfectly. I have enabled "tap to click" and every single tap registers as a click.

3. Upon lifting up the lid, it takes a good couple of seconds before I can move the pointer. Twice as long when an external monitor (TV) is plugged in. I can live with the delay but I hope it will be shortened in the upcoming updates.

I *love* this 13" MacBook Air. The best computer I have owned to date :cool:.