Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Thanks for posting.

A minute difference for a 4 minute encode is significant, and the HD4000 is about 60% faster than the HD3000, and about 40% faster than the old NVidia 320M, so finally we get faster graphics than the 2010 Air, as well as faster processing.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Great video, could you test the SSD speed please?

Its a Toshiba I believe - 'TS128E'. The last revisions (2011 MBA's) had a mixture of Samsung and Toshiba. Not sure if its the case this time too.

If so, the Samsungs were faster in the last one...

Downloading the app to test the speed for the SSD - will report soon.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I figured the cpu performance wouldn't be that much better, and the ssd performance also.
What I'm curious about is usb3 and the intel hd4000.

A test I would like to see is how good will it run while playing a light game(Portal 2, LoL, Minecraft, etc) and recording the screen with Quicktime or something else.
If it still lags like crazy as does my 2011 air, then its not worth upgrading to me.

EDIT: Btw, nice video!
No clue you were on these forums, you were one of the people that helped me get my air last year! :D

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I second the call for some gaming benchmarks. Also, how much memory does the Intel HD 4000 share with the system memory? T
I couldn't find anything on Apple's website. Thanks.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
speculation was that the HD4000 runs faster with the i7 combo and 8GB ram.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Great SSD comparaison ! Enven though the write speeds are almost the same... strange for a SATA III X SATA II drive :confused:

lls4f

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
United States
Great comparisons! Would it be possible to run a stress test or something similar to gauge how the fan noise compares? The new MBAs got the asymmetrical fan blades like the retina MBP so it would be interesting to see if the fan noise has gone down.

Supra Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Texas
Great comparisons! Would it be possible to run a stress test or something similar to gauge how the fan noise compares? The new MBAs got the asymmetrical fan blades like the retina MBP so it would be interesting to see if the fan noise has gone down.

Interested in this as well.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
The Samsung SSD's (Flash...whatever, same difference. The controller is what matters) are generally faster than Toshiba, but of course SATA III is TONS faster than SATA II. It's twice the speed really but to bump up against the 6Gbps ceiling, you need at least two SATA III SSD's in RAID 0 in order to get actual 2x performance.

This is not new to Intel's CPU's. The 2011 MacBook Air (and Pro, iMac, etc.) all had Sandy Bridge CPU's, which were already capable of SATA III, but for some reason, Apple decided to use the - in comparison - totally lame SATA II ones.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
Have you noticed any difference as far as the heat outputs goes? Is the new i5 cooler than the old i5 (or than the new i7)?

Thanks!

darkheroz

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Bulgaria
hi, very useful information. but I have one diff question - how to find such leather case for my 11'' mba like this on 13'' 2011 in 1st video ? 10x

FlakinJamaican

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I figured the cpu performance wouldn't be that much better, and the ssd performance also.
What I'm curious about is usb3 and the intel hd4000.

A test I would like to see is how good will it run while playing a light game(Portal 2, LoL, Minecraft, etc) and recording the screen with Quicktime or something else.
If it still lags like crazy as does my 2011 air, then its not worth upgrading to me.

EDIT: Btw, nice video!
No clue you were on these forums, you were one of the people that helped me get my air last year! :D

I'd definitely like to see a light gaming test, specifically minecraft. That would be amazing ;)

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Its a Toshiba I believe - 'TS128E'. The last revisions (2011 MBA's) had a mixture of Samsung and Toshiba. Not sure if its the case this time too.

If so, the Samsungs were faster in the last one...

Downloading the app to test the speed for the SSD - will report soon.

Thanks for answering this question. Now I and others need one more step with this. Ifixit noted that this Toshiba drive in the base model has a SANDFORCE controller which has been flagged as having problems with on-the-fly encryption like Filevault2. Could you encrypt your drive with Filevault2 and then run the SSD speed test again?

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Fan and noise comparisons would be great.

Samurai -
Great videos!
What laptop are you using now for your main machine? You seemed fond of the rMPB as well.

Fan & noise comparisons - video here:

New Retina MBP is my main laptop now. Selling of the MBA 2011. MBP retina is brilliant, screen and audio/speakers secure the deal for me.

SteveNYC

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
Guess...
SSD speeds are not all the same

I noticed the video on the SSD speeds and for certain, not all these SSDs are the same. At least not in the different sizes.

I bought the 2012 MBA 13" w/ 2.0GHz i7 upgrade, 8GB RAM upgrade and the 256 GB SSD.

On Disk Speed Test, I get 396.3 on Write and 446.9 on Read. That's a fair amount of difference from what's being seen on the 128GB SSD units. My system shows "APPLE SSD SM256E" so mine is a Samsung SSD.

Just thought others might want to know.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Very useful video, thanks, hope you don't mind but I'd like to make a suggestion about the Lightroom test.. That is to select say 50 images and render the previews.

I found on my old PC laptop that rendering was a killer, and it fair zips along on my newer Laptop and given the current HDD in it is only 5400rpm I suspect a lot of this is down to the upgraded processor and 8gb RAM.

I'm not initially intending to use my MBA for Lightroom but you never know in the future, so it will be interesting to see.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Controllers aside, larger SSDs are always faster.

I respectfully disagree. There are a number of SSD's (OWC, Intel 520 Series, OCZ) that I am somewhat familiar with. I always do a ton of research before buying anything new, so I happen to have read tons of benchmarks and reviews about the aforementioned from various sources, including Anandtech, which is as good as it gets when it comes to highly accurate and unbiased reporting on a myriad of products.

It is perhaps important to note that all of the examples I listed are SandForce-based drives and when you google benchmarks that show both IOPS as well as sequential speeds, you will find that for whatever reason, the largest of each of the above mentioned drives (512GB and up) areall slower in both sequential reads/writes and IOPS (random 4K at varying queue depths).

Take the Intel 520 Series, for example, they come in 60GB, 120GB, 180GB, 240GB, and 480GB. The fastest ones are the 180GB and 240GB versions, while the highest capacity 480GB SSD suffers from a performance loss in sequential speeds (either that or IOPS, I can't remember now). The 60GB is the slowest one as far as both IOPS and sequential r/w's are concerned, while the 120GB is closer to the best performing 180GB/240GB versions, but significantly faster than the 60GB. No surprise there.

I looked into how the SATA III Samsung 830 SSD performs in general and I was curious to see if the above "rule" also applies here. I'm particularly interested in the 830, because the Flash storage that you will find in the new Retina MacBook Pro's is based on this very drive! It turns out that fortunately, this is not the case with this Samsung 830 SSD! Both the 256GB and 512GB capacities show the same speed and responsiveness, unlike the previous examples that I mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.