Macbook Air 13" 2013 Clicking noise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imjoee, Aug 21, 2013.

1. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

Whenever i pick up the right side of my macbook air with one hand, i hear this clicking noise almost as if something is loose. It has been bothering me ever since i bought the computer the first week of August at best buy.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The flex is causing something to hit the fan. Return it.

3. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Ok, thanks. will tomorrow since my best buy warranty ends, tomorrow. glad it annoyed me to the point where i had to post something.

also, will best buy give me a brand new one or will they give me refurbished?

4. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

I meant to say it's the bottom right side, next to the trackpad. it only clicks when i pick it up, and then it clicks once i place it down, so it only click twice when i pick it up

5. julied12 macrumors newbie

Happens to me too. I don't know if it's normal as it's my first macbook.

6. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

I'm bringing it to bestbuy tomorrow, will tell you what happens. Hopefully can get a exchange.

7. teffers macrumors regular

I've had this on a couple of replacements.

It was caused, in my case, by the bottom plate not being entirely tight (some screws were very slightly loose). You can see this by closing the MBA, turning it over, and very slightly flexing it in a twisting motion, you'll see the bottom part of the case move in place.

My final one I kept doesn't have it - it does have a slight click when I press the black hinge section under the screen, but I think that's normal.

8. julied12 macrumors newbie

Should I exchange it? The noise doesn't bother me. I just hope it doesn't break anything inside the computer.

9. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

I'm going to bestbuy today since that's where I bought it and ask for a replacement since the noise is very noticeable and is extremely annoying when I pick it up. My 15 day refund ends today actually so I have no choice but to go today and ask for a new one

----------

If you are still in your 1 year hardware warranty, take it to apple and have them look at it. If the store isn't in a convenient place for you then just live with it. I'm going to bestbuy to exchange it today since I'm still in my 15 day window refund.

10. teffers macrumors regular

I don't think it's a major issue, but I did change mine over within the 14 days. I'd purchased a Pentalobe screw-driver and tightened the screws up but the one near the trackpad was just spinning, so that concerned me enough to want to change.

11. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Had a similar problem on mine. Every time the bottom cover was flexed, it "clicked". Took it into the Apple Store; turned out the battery clip inside the MBA had come loose, and it was clicking around in the case. Took them 10 minutes to pop off the back, tighten the clip, put the cover back on and give it back to me.

12. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

so, i just exchanged it like 10 minutes ago, brought it home. and now the track pad is broken, with the most annoying broken feel to it, i have to take it back AGAIN!

13. teffers macrumors regular

:( I really do feel for you, hope the next one is ok.

14. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

right now i am using the third one, so far so good. hopefully it doesnt go out on me in the 14 days of exchange.

15. teffers macrumors regular

Fingers crossed it's a keeper :)

Just out of interest, if you press the long black part of the hinge (runs the length of the screen underneath) does it click slightly, especially on the right ? like a small creak ?

16. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

mine creaks in the center, but not repetitively. It only creaks the first time i press.

If you can live with it then please don't exchange it. The creaking could get worse or move to a different part of the computer after getting a new one, ex. trackpad creak, and or when you slightly place your hand on the sides, is known for MBA's.

17. teffers macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely keeping this one.
    :)