Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
Hi everyone.

I am close to ordering a 13.3 inch MBA, fully spec'ed, but I would like to clarify some details.

What are the exact weight and size of the MBA box shipped from the Apple online store? (I can't find it neither on Apple's website, nor on ebay/amazon).

(I'm going on a business trip and would like to get the product shipped to the hotel, but I'm ordering in advance to give it some extra time in case of a delay, so the Hotel's administration asks me of it's dimensions, which will be required for its storage).

thanks in advance.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Mine says 6.4lbs on the Fedex shipment confirmation. This was a 13.3" 2.13/4gig/256gig model.

You get two boxes: Outer brown shipping box, with 4 'corner' pieces inside to suspend the actual MBA box. The MBA box is the second box.

In design, its similar to the iPad box. The box itself is not much wider than the physical dimensions of the MBA itself. It is, however, about 3" deep. The box contains the computer (on top), with the power supply, power supply extension cord and the manual/restore package bundle.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
Mine says 6.4lbs on the Fedex shipment confirmation. This was a 13.3" 2.13/4gig/256gig model.

You get two boxes: Outer brown shipping box, with 4 'corner' pieces inside to suspend the actual MBA box. The MBA box is the second box.

In design, its similar to the iPad box. The box itself is not much wider than the physical dimensions of the MBA itself. It is, however, about 3" deep. The box contains the computer (on top), with the power supply, power supply extension cord and the manual/restore package bundle.

Thanks. If it's not a problem for you, could you please measure the dimensions of the outer shipping box (better in cm, but inches would do as well).

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
hellooooo, anyone who had received a 13.3 MBA lately, please tell me the exact dimensions of the outer shipping box, and its weight please!

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Sorry, but I pitched the outer box. It was just a brown box, approximately 1" bigger on all sides than the internal MBA box. All my Fedex shipment advice shows is:Weight 6.4 lbs/2.9 kg

What kind of hotel are you staying at that requires the EXACT dimensions of a package you are receiving? Is this a microtel where your room is basically a coffin? Or are they going to store it in their safe?

If an approximate will suffice:

13.3" MBA dimensions:
Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

So add in the packaging of .5 inches all around + 3 inches thick/deep
Then add in another 1 inch in all three dimensions for the outside brown box.

That should be good enough for them.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
found the suitable dimensions, measured by ZDnet in an unboxing article. Although they don't include the outer shipping box.

so here are the dimensions of the macbook air's box: 31 x 36 x 5 cm, weights about 2.5 kg (the average weight of MBA on Amazon).

IAmRaymond

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
I recently ordered my MacBook Air 13.3" (Early 2015) and my UPS tracking number tells me that my package weighs 7.6 pounds. I have no clue why because it only comes with Parallels for Mac with. I don't think it should weigh that much. Any intake on what it might be that is causing the weight?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's more than just the MBAir.
There's a box, where the MBAir is packed.
Then the outside shipping box, with suspending package materials to keep the inner box safe.
Oh - then there's the other items in addition to the MBAir. Power adapter, etc.

IAmRaymond

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
There's more than just the MBAir.
There's a box, where the MBAir is packed.
Then the outside shipping box, with suspending package materials to keep the inner box safe.
Oh - then there's the other items in addition to the MBAir. Power adapter, etc.
True man. It just seems kinda weird to me that the rest of the packaging weighs 3 pounds..

IAmRaymond

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
I don't see the point of giving this a second thought. Are you worried they sent you two MacBooks by accident?
Just worried if I am getting scammed by the site I ordered it from and this is the thread's purpose, buddy. I have no clue why you are here without a "point" of knowing the information on it or interest in knowing :D

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I recently ordered my MacBook Air 13.3" (Early 2015) and my UPS tracking number tells me that my package weighs 7.6 pounds. I have no clue why because it only comes with Parallels for Mac with. I don't think it should weigh that much. Any intake on what it might be that is causing the weight?

You have a significant problem. There was a run of MacBook Airs that shipped from China with incorrect battery assemblies. Specifically, instead of the correct Li battery these were assembled with counterfeit batteries that were provided to Apple's manufacturing contractor containing radioactive uranium waste, which accounts for the extra weight. I work in a nuclear physics lab and have the appropriate disposal facilities. Check with the courier and see if you can have the machine redirected to me before it is delivered.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

IAmRaymond

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
You have a significant problem. There was a run of MacBook Airs that shipped from China with incorrect battery assemblies. Specifically, instead of the correct Li battery these were assembled with counterfeit batteries that were provided to Apple's manufacturing contractor containing radioactive uranium waste, which accounts for the extra weight. I work in a nuclear physics lab and have the appropriate disposal facilities. Check with the courier and see if you can have the machine redirected to me before it is delivered.
Nice try dude. Haha you deserve a medal for the effort that was put into that haha but I was just worried I would be scammed because I have never ordered anything from B&H Photography and Audio, do you have any clue how reliable they are?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you search for "Is B&H Photo a reputable company", you will find a number of rating sites.
Keep in mind that folks might more likely make a post BECAUSE something wasn't right. Less often, to praise a company for a good job. So, you have to take some bad reports to be overall a bit less valuable than the poster might think.
Anyway, here's one link - http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1465378,1465404

IAmRaymond

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
If you search for "Is B&H Photo a reputable company", you will find a number of rating sites.
Keep in mind that folks might more likely make a post BECAUSE something wasn't right. Less often, to praise a company for a good job. So, you have to take some bad reports to be overall a bit less valuable than the poster might think.
Anyway, here's one link - http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1465378,1465404
Thanks, man. That was actually very helpful. Really, it is very much appreciated, dude! You are very kind!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
With the caveat that everyone slips up from time to time, B&H is as good as a vendor gets. Probably more trustworthy than you or me, seriously.

Reactions: motrek

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Nice try dude. Haha you deserve a medal for the effort that was put into that haha but I was just worried I would be scammed because I have never ordered anything from B&H Photography and Audio, do you have any clue how reliable they are?

I would bet $1000 that B&H has not scammed you. I have bought over $80k in camera equipment from B&H and they reputation is impeccable!

Reactions: Abs_p and motrek

FlipperPA

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
UPDATE FOR THE 2020 MacBook Air! I ended up here as the top search result for "macbook air shipping box".

Just in case anyone is still looking for the information requested by the original post, I just got mine a few days ago:

• The brown shipping outer box, which contains the traditional Mac box, measures 14" x 10" x 3.75".
  • The shipping weight on the label is 1.5kg (or about 3.3lbs).
The keyboard is absolutely beautiful and I'm already in love with the thing. Goodbye to the butterfly!

Reactions: g35

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
UPDATE FOR THE 2020 MacBook Air! I ended up here as the top search result for "macbook air shipping box".

Just in case anyone is still looking for the information requested by the original post, I just got mine a few days ago:

• The brown shipping outer box, which contains the traditional Mac box, measures 14" x 10" x 3.75".
  • The shipping weight on the label is 1.5kg (or about 3.3lbs).
The keyboard is absolutely beautiful and I'm already in love with the thing. Goodbye to the butterfly!
Thanks! Does the brown outer Box say Apple anywhere on it or otherwise indicate what’s inside?

FlipperPA

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
Thanks! Does the brown outer Box say Apple anywhere on it or otherwise indicate what’s inside?
Not blatantly, but with a close inspection, you could probably figure it out from a few hints:
  • There's no Apple Logo or anything saying "APPLE"
  • It does have the "Lithium Ion Battery" warning on the outside, clearly marked (about 4" x 4")
  • There's a small sticker on the side panel of the box (about 2" x 2") which gives the model and serial number, but there's nothing that blatantly screams, "THERE'S A $1500 APPLE COMPUTER IN HERE".
Unless you're really up close and personal with it, no worries.

I sold my old Macbook 2016 on eBay and used the box to send it to the buyer. Here's a picture of the box; sorry I don't have a shot of the sticker on the side panel.

apple-mba-box.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: g35

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Not blatantly, but with a close inspection, you could probably figure it out from a few hints:
  • There's no Apple Logo or anything saying "APPLE"
  • It does have the "Lithium Ion Battery" warning on the outside, clearly marked (about 4" x 4")
  • There's a small sticker on the side panel of the box (about 2" x 2") which gives the model and serial number, but there's nothing that blatantly screams, "THERE'S A $1500 APPLE COMPUTER IN HERE".
Unless you're really up close and personal with it, no worries.

I sold my old Macbook 2016 on eBay and used the box to send it to the buyer. Here's a picture of the box; sorry I don't have a shot of the sticker on the side panel.

View attachment 915121
Oh that’s alright, thanks for all the info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.