MacBook Air, 13" Base $160 Off at Best Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 184550, Jul 26, 2012.

1. 184550 Guest

Went to Best Buy last night to get a 13" MacBook Air base model. Asked about matching $100 iTunes gift card with $100 Best Buy gift card. Employee said no, but he could let me provide my email for a series of coupons geared towards college students. Said ok, gave email, got coupons (four or five different ones IIRC, and you must use a .edu email address to receive coupons). One was $100 off any iMac, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.

I assumed that the $100 coupon would supersede the current sale of $60 off the base MacBook Air. However, when he checked me out, both coupons/ sales applied to the purchase. The base MacBook Air 13" rang up at $1,039.99 and my final total after tax was $1,112.79.

Rather surprised that Best Buy did this. Usually they're pretty strict about not combining coupons/ sales/ etc... Personally, I'd have rather had the extra $100 off than the $100 Best Buy gift card as it lowered my taxable amount and I didn't have to buy $100 worth of Best Buy stuff.

2. Purple2012 macrumors member

They just did this for me a few days ago.

Well actually they couldn't get my coupon to print so they gave me MS office for free that's $120. My parents offered to buy me that for school so I ended up getting an extra $20 off out of the deal. :)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

For what it's worth: MS Office Mac University 2011 is $99 via www.theultimatesteal.com (Microsoft site). Includes Outlook in addition to the Word/Excel/Powerpoint suite in the Student/Teacher version.

4. Purple2012 macrumors member

I got Home & Student 2011. I didn't know University existed.
    Seems the only difference is University has Outlook instead of OneNote.
    Best Buy sells it for $120, parents gave me $120 in cash for it.

5. stchman macrumors 6502a

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nobody really advertises the Academic / University version, so it's not commonly known to exist unless you visit E-Academy or your college bookstore.

I *could* be wrong, but I'm pretty sure OneNote doesn't exist for OS X and isn't included in any Mac Office product. It does exist for IOS however, so possibly there is something coming.

Here's a decent breakdown of the differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_for_Mac_2011

I'm sure it's great, but as with any non-mainstream product you can run into problems when you're collaborating with people using the mainstream product. It may depend on the university, but in my graduate program every class involved collaborating with a group. I can see putting up with it if the $99 meant the difference between eating this week or not, but it doesn't take a lot of frustration and extra work before it's worth it to pay for the mainstream product.

7. Purple2012 macrumors member

You're correct. I just checked my box and it has Outlook and not OneNote.

8. tsboy69 macrumors regular

It worked for a friend for his 13" MBA. Saved $160 off the price, they applied both a $100 and $60 coupon. He is very happy

9. tim100 macrumors 65816

But you will not get 8 gigs of ram

10. tsboy69 macrumors regular

You are correct. He did not want nor need 8G...

11. plucky duck macrumors 6502

For general email, web browsing, and the occasional light gaming 4GB is sufficient. Photo/video editing and the likes of VMWare will eat up your ram and is not really ideal on the Air anyhow.

12. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

I'm at a loss: I really want to do this to save the extra bread, as I have absolutely no use for the Mac App store/iTunes store, etc. However, I also hate Best Buy with a passion and I've always imagined my purchase being at an Apple Store.

What's a guy to do?

13. asting macrumors 6502

Wait you have a problem with best buy, and not with apple?

14. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Ummm....yeah! Well i do have a problem with Apple, for giving me a stupid $100 app store card when they should be doling out iPod Touches to us students!

15. kimguroo macrumors member

Glad to find this thread:D
    we visited apple store on Saturday and almost buy 13" MBA from the apple store but my wife was not sure whether she wanted 11" or 13" so we decided to think about the purchase one more day.
    I found the thread and went to best buy instead of apple stores.
    we got 13" MBA FOR 1039.99 and 71.99 for Superdrive ^_^