Macbook Air 13" boot times

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MooneyFlyer, Oct 30, 2010.

?

How fast does your new 13" Air boot

Poll closed Nov 29, 2010.
  1. < 15 seconds

34 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. 16 - 30 seconds

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. 31 - 45 seconds

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. 46 - 60 seconds

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. > 60 seconds

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

All,

I didn't turn up any threads on this using search so I apologize if I missed something. I'm curious about what people are seeing for boot times on their new 13" Airs after loading it up with their "stuff".

I've got the maxed out 13" and I'm seeing boot times of ~50 seconds now which is a little unfortunate. Resume times are about 5 seconds or so. Certainly not instant on but also not bad. Now I'm off to figure out where the time is going but I'm not exactly sure how to go about that.

I did not buy this computer for the boot times so I'm not completely worried about it but it would be nice to know.

So, what types of times are you seeing on your 13" MB Air?

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

I posted a thread a few days ago on this
    as I was seeing many with 15 sec boot times and others with 30 sec.

Turns out after you install some updates boot times will increase for a few boots. Check the thread where others explained why.

Mine was 30 secs for a couple days then suddenly 15 was the norm.

But all I ever do now is use sleep mode and just open and close the lid as needed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1036615

3. MooneyFlyer thread starter macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

thanks - sorry I didn't catch that in MRoogle. I'll see what happens as I cycle it a lot more this week on travel.

4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Just timed mine, 15 seconds, 13 seconds, 13 seconds. (not done any software updates yet)

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I bet After you install the updates will get slower again. After a while it will get better and better. Don't ask me why! This is Mac OS X.

Just ge everything up to date and this is my experience

Cheers :)

6. M87 macrumors 65816

7. MooneyFlyer thread starter macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

It occurred to me that maybe it's different if it is in my "dock" setup (24", Time machine disk, keyboard, etc.). So I used it standalone all day today and my most recent startup was 24 seconds. That's definitely better.
    I'll try it back in the dock config later again. Right now I'm battery conditioning -- and it's taking a while to drain it :)

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Day three, fully setup with my software etc.

I have lots of time on mine, I've really been using it.

Boot times have stabilized to between 12 & 15 seconds, that three second differential is giving me a migraine.

I may very well have to return this _very slow_ computer.

JK...ha..ha...ha...:)

9. Captain Spekkie macrumors member

Hi guys,

My 13.3 inch 4GB machine boots in 13 to 14 seconds and the 11.6 my dad has boots in 14 to 15 seconds.

As i posted in the other thread it sometimes after an update or installation it wil boot slower. Then it takes 30 to 40 seconds.

After a few reboots and some time using it is turns back to 14/15 seconds.
    As some helpful guy in the other thread pointed out, OSX takes a while to build the cash back up to speed.

So every macbook Air 2010 should startup in 15 seconds unless a system update has been done. ;)

10. GreatestDane macrumors member

That certainly is quick!
    I wouldn't buy just because of the boot times, but it is an important factor.
    And nice for showoff in front of people who know nothing about technology (my parents :rolleyes:)

11. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

kinda irrelevant question, i never shut it down completely, so never have to boot from off

12. Perdification macrumors regular

Is it possible to cut down boot times further? Will the 4GB RAM be of more help to boot speeds?

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

14. MooneyFlyer thread starter macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Traveling today and my boot time was <20 seconds (I didn't have a timer and was counting so it could have been slightly more or less). Anyway, I won't be back to my office setup until the 11th, so no way to test this. Maybe it has to do with external drives, etc.. not sure.

15. Crusader macrumors member

Installed all my apps and updated with latest OSX. Can't remember the first boot time (too excited to time). 2nd boot up till now less than 15 seconds, about 13-14 seconds.

16. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I got 12, 14 and 15. So averaged, thats like 13 seconds. Not bad, not bad at all. Actually, great.

17. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

on the 2.13 Ultimate Macbook....I booted up in 7 seconds.

...yes...7 seconds.

18. EsspeN macrumors newbie

I got my 11.6" , 1.6 4gb 128ssd last night.
    My first mac by the way!

Boot up time for OSX was approx 7-8 seconds after innstalling a few apps from adobe. From sleep its more like 1-2 seconds.

With so fast boot up time, maybe i should stop using the sleep.

19. MooneyFlyer thread starter macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Does anyone with these incredible times have external disks, keyboard, mice, or screens hooked up?

20. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

My original times were 12-15 seconds. Since installing all the updates and 3/4 boots its now under 10 seconds:eek:

21. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

No, nothing connected.

22. fsb, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

fsb macrumors newbie

Maybe the fast boot times even after huge software updates and installations result due to the garbage collection form the toshiba SSD controller?
    I also had this weird decrease in boot time after installing some applications.
    I did a complete reinstall then and made some measurements.
    Seems like the garbage collection is really doing a good job.
    Anandtech also has an article about the garbage collection / cleanup feature on the Toshiba controller.

For further details, please read my summary about the MacBook Air 13 boot times.

~fsb

23. superdudeo macrumors regular

I took my MBA in to genius bar this weekend. One of the reasons was because the boot time after the update was 40 secs. If you don't boot in less than 15 secs, there's something wrong. He deleted the cache folder and did something else which I can't remember the name of but involved plugging the power cable in and pressing something like ctrl, cmd and p and r at the same time while turning the MBA on. I can't remember the exact combination of buttons though. This cleared something and it was fine after that.

24. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

i may be the only one, but 15 seconds is still 15 seconds too long.

i hope we get to a point where there is no such thing as booting and you just have it instant on period. we have that in a way right now, but not exactly.

i've gotten used to not shutting down my laptop. it's cool. i noticed after the latest firmware the thing's even snappier.

25. fsb macrumors newbie

This was most likely resetting the PRAM and NVRAM.