Macbook Air 13 "decrease keyboard backlight" button delay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bigdogn12, Aug 29, 2011.

1. bigdogn12 macrumors member

Can you guys please see if you notice / can reproduce this issue I'm having? Pressing the "keyboard backlight down" button, (f5) button, the computer acknowledges that it is being pressed, but the onscreen display (OSD) is not decreasing the amount of bars in the meter nor is the backlight decreasing in intensity.

Some things to note:
    a) I am not having this issue with the increase keyboard backlight button (f6)
    b) I know the f5 key is not mechanically defective because the key is being detected by the computer and bringing up the onscreen display.

Thank you for any input.

2. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

What's your preferences set to? That's odd that it registers the button, but doesn't decrease the light. What kind of environment are you currently using it in? Bright or dim?

Sometimes the "auto" feature overrides pushing the buttons, but I've only noticed this when shining a light into the sensor to test my keyboard illumination settings. I have mine set to auto and shining a light into the sensor will shut off my keyboard lights. Only then the F5/F6 buttons become non-functioning.

Attached Files:

3. bigdogn12 thread starter macrumors member

I can replicate this issue both in low light and bright environments. The computer is recognizing every key press but the brightness only decreases every other press. *Press*, onscreen display, *Press*, onscreen display and brightness decreases, *Press*, onscreen display, *Press*, onscreen display and brightness decreases, and so on. I'm glad it's not a defective button, I'm just seeing if it's some known bug or if anyone can replicate the issue.

4. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Interesting. Well I guess we'll have to see if anyone else has this particular issue or you may have to make a Genius Bar appt. There are many Google search results about the auto illumination being a bit wonky so you're definitely not alone. ;)