MacBook Air 13" hinge issue!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Legion93, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I've recently noticed that my MBA 13" has a problem with the hinge, it is very loose for some reason and when i tilt it back around 100 degrees, from the surface it wobbles slightly and I am a little concerned. I've had this laptop since late January this year, but recently started noticing the issue, I'm worried after prolong use it can become more worse... should I get it checked by an Apple retail store, and is there anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Definitely get it fixed. Mine's 5 months old and perfect.

3. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

same sounds like you dropped it or something bud

4. Beau10, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

Beau10 macrumors 6502a

There's two screws on each side of the hinge that secure it to the chassis. They're easily accessible once you remove the base plate. Sounds like these may have become loose. I would definitely take it to an Apple store to get it tightened - having just reset the screen myself on my 11" (it was slightly askew to the right) it's like a 5 minute procedure.

FWIW several laptops I've owned in the past had this issue crop up over time. In most cases I would actively tighten the screws every so often, but one time I let it go (a Dell Inspiron) and the hinge cracked pretty quickly.

5. 2807 macrumors member

The MBA's have a known hinge problem and are getting fixed for free even when out of warranty. HOWEVER my knowledge of that is for the first gen's. You may not have that?

Try Apples discussion board and you will see 100's if not over 1000 unhinged MBA owners.... heh heh.

I learned the hard way too. After about 3 years with mine... one day.. POP.. it was fixed for free! (but took 2 weeks!!)

6. e30cabrio macrumors newbie

I have had my MBA for three weeks. It has been loose since day 1 and is getting worse. Can this be fixed at an apple store?

7. FastMhz macrumors newbie

*** attention macbook air owners ***

I have a the mid 2009 macbook air and it's getting fixed for free. My laptop is OUT OF WARRANTY but since Apple messed up on the hinges they are fixing it for free. Basically, it's a recall and it's called QUALITY SERVICE by apple. Try mentioning that and hopefully you will get a free fix. I'm glad I brought it in. Also for the guy above that said he had his MBA for a few weeks and you're having issues?? Take it in right away to the APPLE GENIUS BAR.

8. applerepairs macrumors member

Hinges need to be replaced, It could be done at any Apple Mac Repairing Shop.