Macbook Air 13" i5 running Boot Camp for school?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sourlemons, Aug 5, 2011.

1. sourlemons macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I was looking at a new Macbook Air 13" i5 256GB for use at school.
    At school we are required to use Windows 7 on Boot Camp (not allowed Parallels for some reason) and I was wondering if it would work well on the MBA.
    I am wanting to use the Air because it is very thin, light and portable for use at school + travel.

Thanks! :D

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

3. idroid84 macrumors newbie

Whats up with using OSX? On a lighter note yes, you can use boot camp to install Windows 7. Remember that a Windows 7 licence will still be needed to be genuine.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Huh?!

5. sourlemons thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks :D

6. sourlemons, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

sourlemons thread starter macrumors newbie

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

My guess is that the school requires PC's connecting to their Network to be running Win7. The no Parallels / VMware rule might be in place because the schools IT dept feels supporting the VM's would add to their workload.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Ah that makes sense :) We get absolutely no support at school, you can use whatever OS you want because there's no way you're getting on to the network :p

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

How do they know your on VM If it a widows connection? Had no idea there was a difference.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The VM (any operating system) uses your Mac internet connection, which is still authenticated/identified as a Mac. Just more data moving over it :)

OP - Try using it over Parallels anyway. There is a high probability that they said this because they just don't want to help you if something goes wrong, but there isn't much that can. You can use OSX for the other stuff :)

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Perhaps they have had issues with support because Parallels "hides" peripherals and ports from the virtual machine. In any case, you can still install Parallels and set it up to use your Boot Camp partition. That's what I do.

12. sourlemons thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! :D

I think I'm going to try use VMWare Fusion when at home when doing homework, but I was just wondering if I would be able to access all my files and preferences from Boot Camp on VMWare?

Sorry for all the noob questions.. I'm not too good with computers :rolleyes:

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, VMWare Fusion can use your Boot Camp partition.