MacBook Air 13" i5 vs i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by juiceman311, Jun 17, 2012.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

Hello,
    I am finally going to upgrade to a new laptop. Currently still using my late 2006 black MacBook 2Ghz C2D with 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD. I had been anxiously awaiting the new MBP line, but was very let down with the RMBP and have since decided that the Air has everything that I would want and need.

My primary uses are internet, word processing, reading PDFs, etc. I do some stuff with iMovie and Photoshop.

On my current 750GB HDD, I have about 300GB free. The majority of the space is consumed by my large music collection. My solution when moving to a 256SSD will be to use Time Capsule.

I am interested in the i7 8gb RAM 256GB SSD set up. My dilemma is that I have $1500 in Amazon.com credit and was going to use that for the laptop. Amazon does not sell the i7 configuration. I would have to settle for the i5 with 4gb RAM. Any thoughts on the difference in the machines?

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The i5 and 4 gig of RAM will do everything you want for the uses you specified. The i5 and i7 actually benchmark very similarly on the 13" model. What would actually affect the experience more than the processor is the amount of RAM.