MacBook Air, 13-inch, Early 2014 - SSD Options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nvinceable1, Jul 26, 2014.

1. nvinceable1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So I just grabbed a MacBook Air, 13-inch, Early 2014 for $750 from Best Buy to replace my Late 2008 MacBook which just can't keep up anymore. So far I love the machine, the performance upgrade is huge for me! My only concern is the 128GB ssd, which I know is going to be a struggle for me to manage with such limited storage capacity.

I see that some older MacBook Airs have ssd replacement options, does there yet exist any ssd replacement options for the Early 2014 Airs? If not, are there any on the horizon to be aware of?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No yet, but in this thread the Transcend rep said they are hoping to come out with one. I don't recall the rep. mentioning a time frame though.

You might try shooting the Transcend rep a private message and asking if they have an update.

This is him here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=882562

3. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

or you can buy a Transcend JetDrive Lite 130 128GB Storage Expansion Card.
    you will need to stick it into SD card slot of your machine.it's much slower than SSD of course but gets the job done and is much cheaper.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

If 128gb really isn't enough, I would exchange it for a model with a larger SSD. When they finally do introduce 3rd party SSD upgrades, they will be expensive if the past is any guide. Companies have been promising upgrades for the 2013/2014 models for over a year and there's still nothing. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting….

5. nexus4life macrumors regular

Not yet, and when they do - you probably won't like the prices. PCIe SSDs are not cheap whatsoever.