MacBook Air (13", late 2010 model) external/portable battery options?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hydrostarr, Apr 24, 2011.

1. hydrostarr, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

hydrostarr macrumors newbie

Seeking MacBook Air (13", late 2010 model) external battery options. Here's what came up in quick search:

Any other options/products?

Not sure of Magsafe/MBA-friendly options for Tekkeon MP3750, MP3450 or MP3450i. ('R2' flavor of MP3450i sold at 3gstore.com; not sure what 'R2' does, don't yet see 'R2' description/notes at Tekkeon.com.)

Also: can anyone share their experience with above products/solutions/options... or any others?

2. hydrostarr thread starter macrumors newbie

For the Tekkeon: Wondering if I could use a female cigarette-lighter adapter (from Tekkeon), plug a DC-to-AC inverter into it, then a MagSafe power adapter into that. Albeit potentially rather energy/power inefficient (or *is* it?) and quite bulky, but could it still work?

(Other, "native" DC options listed above probably much preferred of course...)

3. hydrostarr, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

hydrostarr thread starter macrumors newbie

Tekkeon *does* (or at least _did_) make a power adapter for MacBook Pro/Air... but it's kind of a home-made jobby, and they only had -one- left. They don't plan to make anymore. So I snagged it (even though I didn't buy one of their batteries yet).

Apparently this cable/adapter can be home-made via taking the tip/cable off a Magsafe adapter and wiring it together with one of their (or some commodity) part, awaiting info on that. If anyone's interested, lemme know and I'll post.

In meantime... why no love for this thread? Would think with MacBook Air's having no interchange-able battery that there'd be lots of folks interested in external/extended batteries for MBAs...? to help for extended away-from-"wall"-power-socket time (for me it's sitting and working outside for long stretches)...?

4. hydrostarr thread starter macrumors newbie

Still surprised no replies (other than mine) to this thread. Thought external batteries would be a "hot" topic for MacBook Air's? Is this thread living in the right place/forum/sub-forum?

Also: still trying to figure out which external battery is "best" for me, thoughts welcome, thanks.