MacBook Air 13 two external monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by super tomtendo, Oct 19, 2014.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I have a 2013 MacBook air. I want to have two external displays with my Thunderbolt Display and a Dell 24 inch display(HDMI). I bought a HDMI to Minidisplay port to daisy chain the dell to the thunderbolt that is thunderbolt-Ed to my MacBook air.

However I'm not getting the dell to work.

Any ideas?

2. super tomtendo, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

3. Larvas macrumors newbie

Larvas

The HD 4000 can not power up three screens, the only thing which you could do is get two same monitors with a same refresh rate and connect them with a splitter, after that the computer would recognize them as one monitor and you would have one window resized on two monitors.

4. linescanner macrumors newbie

Running 3 x 24 inch here

Must be me imagining things but I could swear I am sat in front an Air running 3 External 24" fujitsu monitors.

Set up is

MBA (mid 2012) running Yosemite
    8 GB RAM
    Transcend 520 480 GB Jump Drive

3 x Fuji 24 inch monitors connected

2 x USB to DVI connectors using displaylink beta driver
    1 x mini display port to DVI

Issues are around the screens not remembering arrangement on unplugging or reboot (displaylink driver still beta)

Tearing and the odd rendering issue on the 2 USB attached Monitors.

I do no gaming or video editing. Main work is web based applications and Office packages.

Suits me down to the ground.

5. jacmacattack macrumors newbie

If it's fairly static output you need, a display link USB adapter might work for your needs. It'll add an extra video port through your USB. It's not fast, but good enough for many uses.

Worked for me on the few occasions I needed a third monitor on my Macbook Air.

There are a ton of them available, so a simple search should come up with a lot of solutions.

6. kearmith macrumors newbie

doc!

Hello there,

Il'l bring that tread alive because this forum help me so much. I'm IT coordonator and Apple start raining into the research center 2 years ago.

So: I just finished to install dual monitor on MBP trought USB 3. I know here it's about MBA, but the solution work fine for all Apple laptop, in fact all laptop with USB 3.

The solution for DUAL external monitor with an over HD resolution is TARGUS USB 3 universal dock station model ACP70USZ (140$ us). Compatible with PC and APPLE.

On the fisrt installation, it was not working weel with 2 ASUS 27" monitor .

TARGUS release on october 14 the 2.3 version of display link software and all set up was working well as expected.

I also deploy a an Ergotron Dual arm with that setup and it's look prety nice