macbook air 13 vs macbook pro ratina $400 price difference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamsmu, Jun 16, 2012.

1. shamsmu macrumors newbie

I just realised I have to have the 256gb storage for my roughly 80gb itunes library. I do not like carrying an external hard drive all the time.

So the education prices in Australia are-

Macbook air 13 i7 256gb with 8gb ram upgrade- $1839

Macbook pro ratina- $2279

Reasons to buy the mba- much lighter and thinner
    Reasons to buy the ratina- Sharpest display, more processing and gpu power.

The reason why I am even considering the ratina is because 256gb is a must have for me. So thats increasing the price of the mba considerably. So if I go spending $1850, I may as well go all the way and get the ratina mbp for an additional $400. My only concern is the 2kg weight. It still seems too heavy to carry. What do you guys think? I have exactly 1 week to decide.

2. varsis macrumors regular

If size and 400 bucks isn't much of an issue the GPU will help a ton, also will the extra 2 cores. As for weight, what do you use it for, how much do you carry it?

3. shamsmu thread starter macrumors newbie

I will carry it to uni mostly, about 5 times a week. I used get back pains from carrying a dell latitude about (2.8kg)..So even the thought of carrying a heavy machine freaks me out. Is 2.02kg considered light for a laptop?

On the other hand, after reading some reviews of the new mbp ratina, I am tempted to buy it for much better display along with more raw powers. But the 2kg is worrying me the most. $400 is a non issue, I am not awfully loaded but if you can spend $1800, you may as well spend $2200 if its worth spending.

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

5. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Well, I used to carry a 13" Pro, which is about the same weight as the new Retina MBP, to school daily and with no problems. 2 kg is very light for a 15" inch laptop.

I also used to want to carry my whole 200+ GB music library around, so I upgraded to a 750GB HDD and when I was going to switch to SSD, instead of buying 512GB or more for a gazillion $, I got myself a cheap PowerMac G5 which I use as a server, thus I can access any of my files 24/7 from anywhere where there's 3G or Wifi. And the funny thing is, that this my personal "cloud" solution, was cheaper than a single 512GB SSD at that time. (not counting the electricity bills)

As my Pro was stolen last month I need a new laptop as well, and I'll probably go for the 13" Air anyway. With 8 gigs of RAM, it is fairly enough powerful for my needs.

If you have spare $400 and do need a very powerful computer, buy retina MBP, if not, get Air.

6. shamsmu thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a gaming desktop so I don't really need that power of the mbp. The only thing I need is the portability and 256gb flash storage. But at the same time, I am tempted by the ratina and it looks more futuristic. I can have it by only spending a little more. However, my only concern is the weight problem. 2kg vs 1.35kg

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I looked at the ratina and wasn't impressed as far as the applications available right now. I am sure this will change in the not too distant future.

I would strongly recommend that you see one in person before making your decision and see what looks best to you.

8. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

If weight is really your problem, you should hit the gym.

9. jburns macrumors regular

Keep what you have. Use some of the money to join a gym and strengthen your back.

10. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I'd suggest find something with similar weight to the air and mbp and carry each around for few days to get a feel. Also don't forget you will be carry few other heavy items at university not just the laptop.

Develop a bad back is no joke, especially at such young age, forget about the $400 difference, just get the laptop you fell comfortable carry around all day.

Also visits your doctor 1st before hitting the gym, just in case there is something wrong with your back.

11. shamsmu thread starter macrumors newbie

lol this is turning into a thread about my back strength.

its not that I am too weak to carry it, but I need to walk very long distance everyday. The nearest train station is about 3km from my house and I hate asking ppl for lifts. The lighter the backpack is, the faster I can travel. Also, carrying something heavy for a long period of time puts strains on your body regardless of your physical strength.

12. leman macrumors 604

Off topic, but: get a scooter! Apple computers and Honda motorbikes are two best purchasing decisions of my life ^^

On topic: the weight difference will be very much noticeable. If you don't need the processing power of the MBP I suggest that you get the MBA.

13. chanyitian macrumors regular

If you need to walk for a long distance, the MBA seems to be a better choice