Macbook Air 13 vs Macbook Pro Retina 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tharius, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Tharius macrumors newbie

I'm deciding on whether to get either a Macbook Air 13" or a Macbook Pro Retina 13".

If I get the 13" Air the specs would be i5, 8GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD which comes to $1,650 after tax.

However, I would be able to get the Macbook Retina for $1,600 and it comes with the same exact specs, except that it comes to 128 GB SSD.

I'm a college student who would take this laptop to class everyday, and the main application I use is Adobe Photoshop.

I already ordered the Air 13", but i'm regretting my decision since I feel like buying a Macbook Pro Retina and 64 GB SD (or something like that) would be a better option since it's actually a cheaper option and I get the Retina screen.

Thoughts?

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Honestly, I just went through the same thing you did. Before I get into it: I ended up getting the 15" rMBP, but only because I got a nice used one.

I bought a regular 13" MBP first. The screen was garbage compared to the MBA 13", and I couldn't live with the fact that the 13" MBP's days are probably numbered. So I took it back and got the 13" rMBP. Great computer, awesome screen, and comes with 8gb RAM which will be ok for a while. The cost of that computer was getting to me though. The 13" MBA can pretty much do what the 13" rMBP can do. The 13" rMBP is the newest Apple computer out though, so that is the direction that Apple is going.

I was going to keep the 13" rMBP, but the difference between you and I is that I was not going to bump up any computer that I bought. You are going to bump up your MBA and put it in the price range of the rMBP.

In that situation, I would grab the rMBP. You have the money. Get the smoothest computer on the market for your money.

Either way you will be fine though. The MBA is no slacker.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Seriously?! How many times have we discussed this. If you want the rMBP then get it. Why say things that isn't true.

MBA has more pixel but MBP has better color.

4. Tharius thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Tharius thread starter macrumors newbie

I always thought the air had better color as well compared to the original MBP

6. sharms macrumors newbie

I actually returned the Air 13" and went with the 13" RMBP. I like the design of the RMBP more, and I haven't experienced any of the latency in scrolling or performance issues. It was expensive, but I really enjoy it overall. So if you are picky and money isn't super tight, it definitely is worth taking a look at.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I don't believe it. The 13inch cMBP has a pretty crappy looking screen, next to the MBA.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's not true.

A simple google search will tell you the fact.