MacBook Air 13" vs MacBook Pro Retina 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Niko91, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Niko91 macrumors member

Hi there!
    Well, I've already ordered the MacBook Pro Retina 15" that I have in signature.
    Anyway, I don't know if I've done the right thing for me. I don't know if I really need a MacBook Pro or if I'd be ok with a MacBook Air.

What have I to do with it?
    Almost everything.
    • Photoshop
    • iMovie
    • Study (so iWork suite)
    • Play some games (such as Diablo III, Fifa, ecc.)
    • Web surfing

Help! :eek:

2. spit006 macrumors newbie

i just picked up the new 13 air. However i have the 27 iMac fully upgraded from last year for my gaming and heavy hitting needs. (which aren't many). The guys at the mac store said the new air will handle imovie and photoshop no problem. In 2 days of use i can tell is us MUCH faster and more responsive than my 13 macbook pro with 2.0 dual core processors (from 3 years ago) The only real difference is the lack of dedicated graphics on the air.

otherwise, really happy with new air and glad i purchased it.

3. gibbo132 macrumors regular

I'm going through the same dilemma at the moment!
    I will be doing most of the same tasks as you and I don't feel I can justify spending an extra £600 on the pro!
    The Air at the moment is enough for me, but I'm not sure if it will be enough in 2-3 years! Macs do have very good resale values though so I'm not worrying about that much!
    The new pro while much lighter than my current 15" is still not that light!
    A MBA 13" with 128gbs of ssd storage and 8gbs of ran should do me fine!

4. Tech198, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

Tech198 macrumors G4

I hear the new Retina is great for Diablo 3 :) at full res.

Considering between these two Macs myself. Ultra book is my main goal, and 11' is too small.

I don't do any graphic work, so i'm pushing towards 13' Air ... and it will be cheaper too.

The pixel doubling on the Retina and the "hybrid" apps while developers scramble to update, will freak me out.:eek: