Macbook Air 13" which size SSD is right for me

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jaco224, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jaco224, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

jaco224 macrumors newbie

Greetings

I'm going to be buying a 13" macbook air for college (marketing) and I'm having a hard time deciding on which size SSD to get. I will be running boot camp with windows 7 and I do plan on having thing like office, CS5, WoW, and diablo 3 if that ever comes out. At first I was set on getting the 256g SSD but the store that sells apple doesn't stock that one so I would have to order it online, they do how ever have lots of the 128s. I do have a 120g SSD on my tower at home with 50g free after software but with having only the one option idk

one other thing is that if i do end up getting the 128g and it happens to be the slower SSD (toshiba) I can always exchange it for the faster SSD (samsung) please let me know which size you think is right for me, thxs :)

2. Sirolway macrumors 6502

As big as you can afford; you can never have too much space & you will kick yourself if you later find out that you have too little ...

If that means buying online, I guess there's no reason not to?

3. Lyndo99, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

Lyndo99 macrumors newbie

if you can afford the 256gb its worth the wait to buy online. I am a pretty average user i think and have an average number of programs installed, average size iTunes lib, no movies or tv shows on my hd (they are on an external), don't have windows installed, and right now i am using 100gb of space, so i am glad i got the 256gb option. I do have a fairly large picture lib however. You are probably gonna have this computer for a few years unless you update with every new model release, so is an extra week of waiting to get the computer you really want/need worth it? I would say so but its up to you.

edit: just checked and my iTunes library is 23gb so its bigger than i thought. I also have 25gb tied up in my downloads folder because I'm downloading some tv shows so thats taking a big portion of my hd, That will get moved onto the external once its done. So 128gb is probably manageable for the average user but i still say if you can afford it go with the 256gb.

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Really depends on your usage. If you don't need everything with you, the difference in price can buy you multiple TBs worth of external storage some of which are compact enough to bring around with you.

5. jaco224 thread starter macrumors newbie

thxs for the quick replys, this is going to be my first mac, so idk what else i will be getting into but with tax and every thing the difference between the 2 is 338$ but it seems that larger might be better in the long run, thinking its going to last 2 yrs then I'll upgrade to w/e then

----------

my music collection isn't much bigger then 5g, and I'm not to crazy with photos, well under 2g

6. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

I brought the 128gb and after 1 day i returned and swapped it for 256gb.

I now have 178gb free after almost everything onboard - which psychologically feels good. I don't have to think about space. I did not want to spend the extra either but ultimately i didn't want to always have this nagging thought that i might get low when i travel about and pic up data/movies/photos etc.

If before buying you have this thought then maybe its best to deal with it now with money.

7. jaco224 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i'm going to bed, going to think it over with some good old sleep, hoping that there will be some more thoughts and opinions in the morning :)

8. Formula1freak macrumors member

Formula1freak

I'll tell you what I told to several another users who posed the same question. While it would be nice to have an extra 128gigs of SSD onboard, is it really worth the $300? When you can save $180 and purchase...

- 1.0 TB laptop HD for $109 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136545 )

- External 2.5" sata HD enclosure $9 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392032 )

As much as I would like an extra 128 gigs of SSD onboard. To me saving almost $200 and carrying something as small as my iPhone 4 and have 1 Terabyte of Data at my fingertips is much more worthwhile. Just my opionion though :)