Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have a MacBook Air M2 13" with 24gb of ram. I am wondering if there is enough value to move to a MacBook Pro M3 Pro 14" with 18gb of ram. Does the less ram offset the gain from M2 to M3 Pro? I don't do video editing or photo shop stuff. I do general workflow for work and my phd program, and a fair amount of Telehealth sessions on Zoom with clients. I don't want to hit ram bottlenecks, so is the current setup a better place to stay?

thanks.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Regardless of what you choose anything over 16gb RAM is plenty it sounds like, hell 8gb would probably get you by.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a MacBook Air M2 13" with 24gb of ram. I am wondering if there is enough value to move to a MacBook Pro M3 Pro 14" with 18gb of ram. Does the less ram offset the gain from M2 to M3 Pro? I don't do video editing or photo shop stuff. I do general workflow for work and my phd program, and a fair amount of Telehealth sessions on Zoom with clients. I don't want to hit ram bottlenecks, so is the current setup a better place to stay?

thanks.
You'll notice no improvement in performance for this workload. Keep the Air.

Reactions: halledise

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
For your workflow, I would recommend going with the 14-inch MacBook Pro. Having that M3 Pro chip will certainly help in the future and that ProMotion display is also nice.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Unless you need bigger screen, extra connections and dual screen support, the MBA you having will easily serve your needs for the next years.

Reactions: Macbookey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.