Macbook Air 13'' Woodpecker (New Version)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Martini-man, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Martini-man macrumors member

2. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

should have bought the 11.6 to small for woodpeckers.

3. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Sounds like a bad drive...possibly a fan. Either way not a good sound or a sound that is normal. I'm curious, did they look at your video on your support call?

4. Martini-man thread starter macrumors member

Nop...

They just asked me to press 3 keys and then 4 keys it started like 3 times.

The noise was still there so they just said that they would send me another one and send someone to pick this one up.

They didn't ask to listen to the sound or video.

5. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

With the only moving part inside an Air being the fan, well.. my money is on the fan :)

6. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

SSDs/Flash drives can and do still cause vibration if/when bad/dying. Which in turn can/does allow rub/friction which in turn can/does cause noise often like the one heard on the OPs "woodpecker". Consider this lesson free of charge, this time. ;)

7. Fanboyofnothing macrumors member

8. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I'm not arguing, but I'm interested how a chip soldered to a circuit board causes vibrations?

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Someone has NO clue what an SSD is.

Superiority Complex?

10. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Inferiority complex? Those who know, know. Those who don't, don't. Don't beat yourself up to bad though, most don't understand how this can happen, yes even on a soldered non enclosed board. But keep casting! :cool:

11. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Ok, if you're going to make statements that a low voltage chip soldered in place make vibrations and then laugh at people saying otherwise, I'd like to see some hard facts presented to back that up, or just admit you were thinking about HDD's..

12. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Have you ever soldered anything? Have you ever heard of micro soldering...or surface mounting? I'll keep this simple for you. It's uber light and small soldering, usually done by special soldering machines. Sometimes it's even more of high pressure stamp than an actual solder, but the outcome remains the same.

These micro solders create very small points - usually 2mm or less in size - and like anything that is put together, let alone mass produced, can and do break. Especially when they get hot then cold, hot then cold or if they are done poorly and take some abuse. Say the kind of abuse that can happen when they are subject to poor handling being shipped all over Gods green earth. If even one or two of these solder points breaks, it could be enough for the chip to vibrate all by itself. It can also be enough of a vibration to rub against something it should not, say a fan or a case.

But hey, you and the other trolls in here who are just so certain you/they know more than me or everybody else, go on believing that you are more than you really are. Now I should officially say, school has ended. Keep on casting! :rolleyes:

*Edit* BTW I was not laughing at you, well at first anyway. I was laughing at the comments of macsaucer troll. But after you came out blazing like a troll as well, I am in fact now laughing at you both. Man up, eat your crow and move on. We all have to do it sometimes!

13. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

First - yes, I have worked with soldering. Second, bad solders CAN break up, but I've never ever seen this in modern computers, only in home-made stuff. The machines soldering these things don't do mistakes often, if ever. Third, for a chip to vibrate you'd have to have much more than one soldering break, actually almost all of them (and there are a lot), which is an extremely small chance. Fourth, chips don't vibrate by themselves just by applying voltage to them. If something were loose, only the fan could cause it to vibrate to in turn rub against something else.

And most of all, this still has no connection to your statement "SSDs/Flash drives can and do still cause vibration if/when bad/dying". You're talking about soldering, but your initial comment were specificly about SSD's vibrating when bad - SSD's don't do that, period. HDD's do, on the other hand.

Exactly. I'll stop posting here now since this is going nowhere. But I just had to leave a post so that others won't get crazy ideas that a bad SSD makes your computer vibrate.

14. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

you high brother! you high!!!

15. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Ha ha look at Stingray - you are learning! You took what I just schooled you on and tried to turn it around to make your weak ego and intellect feel a bit better. But I see progress and maybe even potential in you troll. Keep on casting! ;)

16. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm slowly but surely learning the way of the troll. Tonight I learned that when presented with facts and proven wrong, instead of admitting that, insult the other party and call them a troll. Thanx for the lesson, master :)

17. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I hear flexing your e-peen on MR forums is a surefire way to get the ladies :)

And my 13" fan sounds like a blender when I'm running SC2.

18. hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

lolthread :D

My condolences, OP, hope you get your new one soon!

19. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Yes, me toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

20. Martini-man thread starter macrumors member

It makes that noise every 7 seconds...

When it's cold, when it's hot, whatever...

It's does the same stuff every 7 seconds.

21. Martini-man thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ;)

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

SSDs vibrate when they are dying? That's new to me. Where's the vibrator module coming from?

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Really??? Hey, there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn somewhere too......