Macbook Air 13in i7 or Macbook Pro 15 i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDOUR, Nov 9, 2011.

1. MacDOUR macrumors newbie

Hey I need to purchase a notebook today or tomorrow. I went into the Mac store to decide which macbook I would like, but my decision is still up in the air. My option was between the lightweight macbook Air 13" with i7 upgrade, or the base model Macbook pro 15" with and upgraded ram of 8gb. I do not have a desktop so this is will be my only machine. I like the lightweight of the air because I am a college student, but the upgraded stuff "under the hood" of the Macbook Pro makes me think. What do you guys think?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

what would you use the computer for? gaming? taking notes?

3. Wattser93 macrumors regular

The MBP is more versatile because of 8GB of RAM and user replaceable HDD, but also larger and heavier if that matters.

IMO, the base 15" with the HR AG screen is the best value Apple makes right now for a notebook.

Like said above, what are your uses? For note taking and Facebook, there isn't a difference, but for gaming or anything GPU intensive the MBP is leaps and bounds above the MBA.

Don't buy your RAM from Apple, the overcharged severely. It's $40 to do yourself and is easy to install.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd go with base line MBP 15" HR Glossy with SSD, you can buy the 8GB ram later. MBA is lightweight, but MBP packs more of a punch for photo/video editing and video playback. Just my 2 cents

5. MacDOUR thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just use the computer for normal use, but I think it would be better to have a more versatile computer that I can always do stuff I need to later, than spend money and purchase the air, and will later on need another computer. Love the 15" as well. All your opinions were great.

Thanks

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Enjoy your MBP

7. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I think since this is going to be your main laptop then u should definitely get the 15". MBA is just for light browsing and usually a purchase for people that already have a main computer.