MacBook Air (2008) screen contents on iMac (2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by winterquilt, Aug 5, 2014.

1. winterquilt macrumors regular

winterquilt

I have a MacBook Air from 2008 and I would like to connect it up to my 2011 iMac so that it displays the contents of my MBA on the iMac's screen.

It looks like I have the "Apple Micro-DVI to DVI Adapter" (part: MB203G) which came with my MacBook Air and so I would need a Micro-DVI to Thunderbolt converter like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-METRE-MINI-DISPLAY-PORT-THUNDERBOLT-to-DVI-CABLE-CON VERTOR-FOR-MAC-PC-Mini-DP-/331028854802

Do you think that it would work?

2. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Certainly your problem has been resolved. Besides using cables, ScreenSharing/VNC/TeamViewer you might use Avatron AirDisplay to make the iMac a separate display - it's my favourite solution for this purpose.

3. winterquilt thread starter macrumors regular

winterquilt

Thank you for your reply, it's never too late to try "new" options.

I only just got around to trying Avatron'd software last night, luckily they have archived older versions and I was able to use 10.7 with the most recent version of OS X, however my Wi-Fi network has a little bit too much lag.

At present I use emulation software to install 10.6, which is necessary for the software that I'm using, it's a little bit slow, so I think it's about the same, if not better, than Avertron's offer - it's free as well!

Unfortunately the cable option did not work, I think that my MacBook was one generation out from the Thunderbolt spec that would allow me to view another computer's screen content.

Thanks for your help!