Macbook Air 2010 general feedback and advise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Knoxifier, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Knoxifier, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Knoxifier macrumors member

I'm very new to this forum, and every more new to owning a Mac. I bought a Macbook Air 2010 ahead of the release of the revamped ones because I wanted the dedicated GPU over the integrated graphics.

Now, after about 2 weeks of usage, I'm kind of both liking it and not liking it.
    I LOVE the fact that it's super-light-thin-portable and sleek looking. I like the snappy SSD. I LOVE the trackpad.

I don't like how it gets hot while just medium usage(watching some downloaded series, browsing the web..), and I don't like how my internet speed varies from tolerable 500kb/s, as I have 24mb, down to 10kb/s..

I did upgrade to Lion. It is summer here in Sweden btw(20-30°C outside).

Should I just return it, or should I hold on to it?

2. simsaladimbamba

The 320M is an Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) like the Intel HD 3000.

Regarding the web browsing:
    Adobe Flash Player is CPU intensive, thus more power is needed to feed the CPU, which results in higher temperatures and often higher fan speed(s) on mobile computers. As more power is used due to Flash, the battery life of mobile computers is shortened by a good bit.
    To check, if Adobe Flash Player is responsible for less battery time, go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select to show ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

There are a variety of Flash blockers for all the four major browsers available.
    A Flash blocker does what it says, it blocks Flash content, but via a click on the marked Flash object, the Flash object can be activated and used.

• Safari: ClickToFlash, for which there is an extension and a plug-in; CTF allows you to download YouTube and other kinds of MPEG-4 encoded video too.
    • Opera: has a built-in Flash blocker
    • Firefox: Flashblock is an add-on to block Flash
    • Chrome: FlashBlock is an extension to block Flash

Also make sure to have the latest Adobe Flash Player version running, you can get it here.​

Regarding watching some series: how do you watch them?

Regarding the return: Not really necessary in your case, as even a Mac from 2007 can do that.

Regarding the internet speed: www.speedtest.net

Regarding being new:

PS: To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. Knoxifier, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Knoxifier thread starter macrumors member

I use VLC player, and regarding the internet speed, I've used TPtest to get some results; as of my span of speeds, 10-500kb/s.

Another thing that bothers me is the battery life, which is no where near 7 hours. I have been using it for exactly 3hours20minutes now, browsing the web and watching series, and the battery is at 33%.

4. utstudent macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you OP. it get really annoying when the MBA fan blow and heating up when watching a video. Will the core i5 make a real difference?

5. KPOM macrumors G5

When the Core i5 heats up, the fan will blow as fast, but the newer models seem to be a little quieter. Also, the Core i5s won't throttle up as quickly as the Core 2 Duos when running video content because the processor is more capable. On the downside, the HD 3000 graphics aren't as good as the 320m, so with 3D content, it might get a little hotter.

6. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Welcome here my swedish friend. You live in an awesome country. My GF is from there too, Valentuna to be exact.

On Topic: I found that my MBA 2010 never got really hot. Where is yours standing?
    Also i can not understand your problem with Internet speed. I have about 14MBit down, and i get that without a problem. I didnt even have a Problem when i took it to Sweden about one and a half months ago connecting it to Telia (i think).
    I would say return it though and get a 2011 Model, its more snappy and might solve your problems.

7. Knoxifier thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Yeah it is!

I've been using it on several locations, my desk(flat), the coffee table(flat) and on my knees.

I don't get it either. I have no idea what's causing it.

I bough it from Apple's Online store for Education, so I'd have to ship it back. It says you have to return it within 14 calendar days, counting from when I got it(18th), so do they need to have it at their place within the 14 days or can I send it now and still get a refund?

8. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

As far as i know you first have to send an email telling them that you want to return it and then send it back. I would do that as early as possible tomorrow if i were you. You may also want call them and talk to them about it.

9. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

Do not confuse the HD3000 with the awful GMA integrated graphics intel had in previous generation processors. Yes, the HD3000 is still an integrated processor, in fact its on the same die as the CPU, however it is FAR superior to intel's previous integrated graphics.

In terms of performance, the HD3000 is equal or better than the Nvidia 320M, depending on the application.

Return the 2010 MBA and get the 2011, you will be glad you did. The 2011 MBA has equal graphics performance but the CPU is twice as fast. Plus you get a backlit keyboard.

As for the heat, the 2011 MBA is very cool even under load. The heatsink on the MBA now only needs to handle one chip instead of two, because the GPU and CPU are all on one die.

10. bill-p macrumors 65832

I'm not sure where others are getting that 2010 is hotter, but I have read nothing but complaints about heat and thermal on the 2011 models. Even more so with the i7 ones.

That said, if you want less heat and less fan, I would recommend that you downgrade from Lion and run Snow Leopard instead. Then get Coolbook, which will help you reduce the voltage being fed to the CPU and it'll help a lot with temperature.

Additionally, install Fan Control and you'll be able to set how the fan should react to temperature.

If you are watching videos in Flash or browsing websites that are Flash-heavy, then any laptop is bound to blow hot air just like your MBA. It's normal.

11. hutchingsp macrumors newbie

FWIW I still haven't heard the fan on my 13" 2011 Air. In fact I just held it up to my ear to be sure there is a fan, and indeed you can just hear a slight hum.

I admit I don't do anything especially taxing on it, mostly just web browsing/email etc. but it has been, to all intents, absolutely silent so far.

12. Knoxifier thread starter macrumors member

Small bump.
    Is the general opinion that I should return it?
    I'm leaning towards it myself..

13. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

I have 2010 13" ultimate.

From what I gathered from the owners reports, once the 2011 MBA "settle down" itself, or a clean install, the battery life is as good as the "Coolbook'ed" 2010 13" Ultimate. I believe on higher CPU usage, or same task, 2011 should provide more battery life because it has more efficient CPU.

Heat is expected to be a little higher on these new i5/i7, and should be noticeable on the lap. However, my 2010 doesn't run hot, even with the most intensive works, it won't go to the extent that it gets too hot on the lap. Maybe it'll happen with the 2011 but that's when it's doing CPU intensive task like convert/export video, decompressing multiple archives. I believe for use where you most likely to put it on your lap, 2010 and 2011 should be equally cool, or slightly warmer with the 2011.

The only reason to keep the 2010 is perhaps universal binary applications and the slightly better 320m on gaming (then again it's just slightly).

14. Knoxifier thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response mate.
    I decided to return it, and am now waiting for a call from the carrier to pick up my package.
    I think that in the end the newer is more future proof and will serve me for a longer time.

15. calvol macrumors 6502a

Read the Anandtech review before you return it. If you like long-battery life and a cool machine, stick with the 2010 MBA.